Need some help and direction...

Reaction score
My father in law would like to hard wire two devices. He has a bell south wireless modem downstairs. Upstairs he would like to hardwire his PS3 and his LG bluray player. On another forum, it was suggested that I purchase a wireless bridge device such as this

Newegg.com - D-Link DAP-1522 802.11b/g/n Xtreme N 2.4/ 5GHz Selectable Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Bridge/Access Point/ Optimized for HD Video Streaming

However, I was wondering if two airport express devices would work? This would simplify having to run the Ethernet wire through the attic from the above device in one bedroom to his ps3 in another. They are using bellsouth DSL with a linksys wireless router downstairs.

Thank you for the help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My first question is - why does he have the hardwire requirement? If it's for bandwidth, then you're shooting yourself in the foot putting a wireless bridge between the PS3 and the modem.

OP
R
Reaction score
He would like to hardwire the PS3 because of the issues with skipping and having a good wireless signal when the modem is downstairs. He also would like to wire his LG bluray player to take advantage of higher quality streaming via VUDU or Netflix.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He would like to hardwire the PS3 because of the issues with skipping and having a good wireless signal when the modem is downstairs. He also would like to wire his LG bluray player to take advantage of higher quality streaming via VUDU or Netflix.

OK, then you would be defeating the purpose by putting a wireless bridge in.

The best solution would be to run an Ethernet cable from the modem in the basement and install the router on the 2nd floor. That will allow for a hardwire connection and also make the wireless more pervasive throughout the home. The absolute worst location for a wireless router is in the basement.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well we are in South Florida so it isnt a basement (not that that makes a difference). He does not want to run a cable from the first floor to the second and the crap that accompanies that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well we are in South Florida so it isnt a basement (not that that makes a difference). He does not want to run a cable from the first floor to the second and the crap that accompanies that.

Unfortunately, the reality is that you need a hard wire connection in order to get the benefits of one. Using a wireless bridge is pretty much the same thing as using the wireless adapter on the PS3 to connect to the router.

Is there a phone jack in the same room as the PS3? If so, he should be able to easily transfer the modem/router combo up to the third floor and run a hard wire connection straight to it. A side benefit is that the wireless signal will be much better for the whole house, including devices on the first floor.

OP
R
Reaction score
****, that sucks. I think that might be a problem. Either way, thank you for all the help. If i can get the Modem upstairs, then I will be able to handle it from there.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wouldnt a airport express do the same thing?

No. An Airport Express is just a really small wireless router, like any other (i.e. it uses radio frequency to transmit data). This actually uses the electrical wiring in the home to transmit data. So, you have an adapter near the router, and an adapter near the PS3. If the house has modern electrical wiring and the device works as well as they claim, then it should do the trick.

OP
R
Reaction score
wow, that is a great idea. Another question regarding this, if VUDU is downloading via my cable modem at about 10Mbps, would I need one as high as 200Mbps? Im looking to buy a few of these "kits" so price will come into play.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
wouldnt a airport express do the same thing?

I have to admit to having no real experience with this "relatively" new standard (it's not new but I've only recently started to see products on the shelves) - but the data rates advertised would support what you're trying to do. Here's another item XAVB5001. You get the idea.

I'll eventually get around to tinkering with it myself a bit - but just haven't had the time or motivation.

I think - if you were set on wireless - then your only way around getting a hardwired connection to your other level - which will put the router in an area such that your signal strength will be sufficient to keep the data rates up (which is what I think CWA was getting at) - is to use the Powerline devices to get the bit pipe to the room where you want your new wireless router. The other problem here is I don't really know what kind of data rates you're trying to achieve. While the 'n' router is capable of some impressive data rates (at least at the PHY level) - you only get those if the rest of the nodes connecting are also 'n' nodes - and it doesn't sound like they are.

It's possible - again depending on what you're hooking up, and how - that you could use the powerline gear combined with the airport express.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, that is a great idea. Another question regarding this, if VUDU is downloading via my cable modem at about 10Mbps, would I need one as high as 200Mbps? Im looking to buy a few of these "kits" so price will come into play.

Probably not - but I'd have to do some research to see what kind of overhead is associated with the powerline 'standard'. I'm not as familiar with that standard as I am the 802.11 standards - actually, I guess I should say I'm not familiar with it at all.

If we're just dealing with 10Mbps - that's not too tough to sustain - you should have plenty of options.

OP
R
Reaction score
Here is what he is trying to do...

He recently purchased an LG 9500 LED TV and the matching bluray player (mistake #1). After getting it all hooked up via Geek squad (mistake #2), he noticed that all of the apps that come with this TV and BDP, specifically VUDU and Netflix, were slow to load and sometimes would studder or hiccup as he put it. He is also completely sold on 3D, and since he takes everything Geek Squad says as the gospel (mistake #3), he is convinced that streaming 3D is just around the corner. He asked me why he was not getting the stream if everything is supposed to be wireless. I told him that since he was upstairs (and my niece/nephew's room with the PS3 was as well), the only way for him to get the quality of the stream he is looking for is to hardwire his devices. Moving the modem is not an option, so he basically looked at me and was like make it happen. Which led me to here...

THUS, the only data rate I need to achieve are ones that can stream movies for him without any hiccuping (as he put it)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Since you asked the question - I got a little curious and did a little skimming of our good friend Wikipedia. I think 200 Mbps - is about as low as you'll see them advertised as that's the theoretical PHY data rate (or possibly 80-85 at the MAC layer). Most vendors these days use the PHY rate for obvious reason. It does appear that the standards most recently ratified (last month) will have significantly more performance. I may have to experiment with these.

OP
R
Reaction score
Since you asked the question - I got a little curious and did a little skimming of our good friend Wikipedia. I think 200 Mbps - is about as low as you'll see them advertised as that's the theoretical PHY data rate (or possibly 80-85 at the MAC layer). Most vendors these days use the PHY rate for obvious reason. It does appear that the standards most recently ratified (last month) will have significantly more performance. I may have to experiment with these.

98% of what you just said flew significantly higher than my pay grade. So given my last post about what my father in law wants to do, do I need to get him something capable of 200Mbps or should I just get it anyways for "futureproofing" him for the next 5 years?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
98% of what you just said flew significantly higher than my pay grade. So given my last post about what my father in law wants to do, do I need to get him something capable of 200Mbps or should I just get it anyways for "futureproofing" him for the next 5 years?

LOL - no worries. I'm just saying that you'll see 200 (or at least 80) probably on all the products (I'm guessing.) THere are probably plenty of others on here that are better equipped to answer your specific implementation questions - maybe CWA will chime back in if he hasn't already gone to bed (which is where I'm heading as soon as I post this). I can only really help you theoretically. I haven't set up anything remotely close to what you're trying to do - but there are plenty on here who stream media and have HTPC setups that may be able to advise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.