*NEED HELP* Macbook Pro wont go past load screen, tried many things

Reaction score
Hello All, I am new to the community but have been searching on here for years getting advice for my mac. I now finally have a problem that i cant fix.

I have a macbook pro 17" about 4 years old now and recently when i turn it on it boots the loading white screen with the apple logo but does not go any further. Looking back at old threads i have tried the following:

- resetting the NVRAM by holding cmd+alt+p+r
- taking out the battery and trying to reset the SMC
- holding down shift and trying to boot in safe mode

All were unsuccessful. Also i do not have the original start up disk.

My biggest problem:

Im in AFRICA, specifically in Ghana, and there are most certainly no apple stores here.
I am a volunteer going to be in country for the next year and a half. Basically i am just looking for any help anyone can give on how to fix my problem or basically flat out tell me my hard drive is done and im screwed :/ Thanks

- freaking out in africa

Kax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD
This might mean that your hard disk is dead I could have told you to make a disk repair but you said you don't have the start up disk, and I do not think you will find someone has a start up disk for you to barrow :).

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
yep, sounds like a hard drive issue. maybe you could order a snow leopard retail disc set from the internet, along with a new hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.