Exciting changes coming to the Rumors and Reports forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
We're excited to announce some exciting changes coming for the Rumors and Reports forum here at Mac-Forums!

Sometime this week, you'll notice a new friendly face named MF News Bot. News Bot will begin posting news and rumors articles that we feel are of interest to Mac-Forums members on all topics related to Apple.

And periodically his friend, MF Blog Bot, will post links to new blog articles on the MF Blog.

Look for these new additions this week!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Sounds good I shall certainly be keeping my eye out for it.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
LOL

This is going to put the8thark out of a job ;P
Will be interesting to see what it brings out. How good will the algorithm be?

Am liking all tje changes that are happening. Its moving this forum forward in the best way intended.

Cheers

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will be interesting to see what it brings out. How good will the algorithm be?

It will be a curated feed so no algorithm, human wisdom still rules. :)

Am liking all tje changes that are happening. It's moving this forum forward in the best way intended.

Thanks for the kudos. We do have some larger scale things planned in the future we think everyone will like, but we're excited to release some of these easier to implement changes earlier. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
This will get as exciting as awaiting the newest Apple product to be released ;)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Interesting. Poor the8thark, he'll need a new job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I know! Get the8thark to run the bot :)

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
LOL

This is going to put the8thark out of a job ;P

Very funny :D.

But seriously does this mean we can still post news in the news topic or will the newsbot take over this service?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very funny :D.

But seriously does this mean we can still post news in the news topic or will the newsbot take over this service?

The News Bot will be posting most news. You are free to post news not covered by the bot, but we ask that you don't duplicate posts if its already covered.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
...And periodically his friend, his friend, MF Blog Bot, ...

Look for these new additions this week!

Would it be possible for us to get a female bot - instead of a male? We're decidedly short on females here...:*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The News Bot will be posting most news. You are free to post news not covered by the bot, but we ask that you don't duplicate posts if its already covered.

Understood. And I'll make sure I search first.
You know I really like this idea. Really really like. For a lot of reasons.
I just want to see what format the bot posts in so if I ever post a news topic I'll use the same format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Does the "News Bot" really have to post almost ALL news that is new? I kind of liked how it was before, were the people didn't just post everything as it came out, sort of filtering what should be posted here, and those that aren't really necessary. Know what I mean?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our "News Bot" is very diligent and thorough. As a good reporter, he covers everything. Like the NY Times - "All the news that's fit to print". Wouldn't want it any other way. ;D

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the "News Bot" really have to post almost ALL news that is new? I kind of liked how it was before, were the people didn't just post everything as it came out, sort of filtering what should be posted here, and those that aren't really necessary. Know what I mean?

The Bot posts a curated feed that are stories picked by people so it's already filtered.

And who decides "necessary"? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't know, but I just feel like we have so much stuff coming in that shouldn't be really coming in...ummm...I'm not even sure what to really say...we're getting bombarded with news...let me get my hard-hat!

It would be sweet if there was a like/dislike button for the news posts, and if a post gets too many dislikes, it automatically gets deleted!! That was be nice imo! I've seen it in other free forums, so shouldn't be too hard.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know, but I just feel like we have so much stuff coming in that shouldn't be really coming in...ummm...I'm not even sure what to really say...we're getting bombarded with news...let me get my hard-hat!

It would be sweet if there was a like/dislike button for the news posts, and if a post gets too many dislikes, it automatically gets deleted!! That was be nice imo! I've seen it in other free forums, so shouldn't be too hard.

We're actually pretty happy with the News Bot. You can always put it on your ignore list if you find it too cumbersome.

While we're always working to refine the curation, I don't think I agree that anything it's posted so far has been unnecessary or not "news worthy".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the news bot learnt well from the fine example that came before it. And I'm proud it became the successor. Not like there was a choice though. Machines always take over people's jobs. Faster, more efficient and doesn't need to take time off for a holiday.

At least the people get their news. Once from people and now from a machine. Times are changing and it's about time we all embrace it.

On a serious note my only issue with the bot is maybe the sites/RSS feeds it uses could be expanded. There's a whole lot of good ones I used to and still use that the news bot does not seem to touch. But if it misses anything I'm sure it'll be posted by someone.
I know the response to this is "We like the newsbot as it is thank you". And I understand this. But feedback is always useful.

Sometimes the bot does post the same news story after a person has posted it. That is really rare but has happened.

That's it for my nitpicking. Those are minor issues I think. Overall I really like the news bot.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the news bot learnt well from the fine example that came before it. And I'm proud it became the successor. Not like there was a choice though. Machines always take over people's jobs. Faster, more efficient and doesn't need to take time off for a holiday.

At least the people get their news. Once from people and now from a machine. Times are changing and it's about time we all embrace it.

Except you seem to keep forgetting that it is still people choosing what's posted. The Bot just simply posts the stories that are flagged by the people doing the curating. So it's not automated and not really a "machine".

On a serious note my only issue with the bot is maybe the sites/RSS feeds it uses could be expanded. There's a whole lot of good ones I used to and still use that the news bot does not seem to touch.

We currently use a mix of 7 different Apple news sites, not sure which you feel we should expand to or that offer something in news that compellingly different than what we currently use?

Always open to suggestions for new sites, but understand we don't necessarily think every bit of news needs to be reported, and sometimes we don't care much for the fanboyism in the editorial style of some of the news sites.

Sometimes the bot does post the same news story after a person has posted it. That is really rare but has happened.

That's because sometimes those people don't seem to wait for the bot even though they know it's there. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.