New Harddrive need format?

Reaction score
I've ordered RAM from OWC in the past and just recently ordered a new SSD for my MBP. Being the first time I've ordered a harddrive I was wondering if it will come formatted in the correct format or if I will need to format in disk utility prior to installing the OS onto it. Anyone able to tell me based on their experience from OWC?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You will have to reformat if, most, if not all, internal drives are formatted for PC or not formatted at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
As louishen says you will most probably need to format it, Format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) through Disk Utility.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
N
Reaction score
Guys, I've installed the new RAM and harddrive and am currently booted up off my OS disks into Disk Utility BUT CAN'T FIND THE OPTION TO FORMAT THE NEW DRIVE!!! Help!!! Can someone give me a step by step to format the new drive into Journaled please :)

I am currently searching google for the instructions but hoped that I might get an answer in here faster. Thanks

OP
N
Reaction score
Done and done. Thanks lol. I kept find sites for Macs that were several years old and OS didn't match up with mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.