mac mini dvi to vga no signal?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new mac mini, latest version. When I connect the included HDMI/DVI adapter to a DVI cable to a monitor it works fine. Problem is when I connect the HDMI/DVI adapter to a DVI/VGA adapter to a VGA cable to a monitor I get no signal. To complicate matters further, I tried 2 different monitors with this set up. One monitor says "no signal" and then goes to power save mode. The other monitor just goes to power save mode until I unplug the cable and then it says "no signal". What is the deal with this? Can I not use a VGA cable with the mac mini or is it the DVI to VGA adapter? It is not an apple brand adapter and before I purchased it I made note of the pin configuation seeing that there are no pins around the - (minus) pin so the configuation looks to be correct. Using the DVI cable set up is not an option since that one is not mine, barrowed it. My monitor only has a VGA plug in and its supposed to be compatible with mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
VGA is analog only.
HDMI is digital only.
You can't get from one to the other without using a converter to convert the signal (probably around $200+), an adapter will not do it.

If you want VGA, then you need to get a mini displayport to VGA adapter - Apple's or other.

adapter
combo adapter/cable

OP
M
Reaction score
One more stupid question...
Why would they even make a DVI to VGA adapter if it cant work without a signal converter? Whats the adapter for?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From Apple:

Apple DVI to VGA Display Adapter

Use a DVI to VGA display adapter for connecting Macs equipped with a DVI port to an external VGA monitor or projector at home, office or to have handy while on the road.

Your Mini is equipped with a mini display port and HDMI output ports not DVI.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just to add a little to the above:

The DVI ports found on computers are capable of passing both, analog and digital.
However, you cannot get both types of output when plugging it into some port that is only sending it one type.

General rule of thumb:

You should have a maximum of 2 connection types in a combination going from device to device. Three connection types in a chain to make a single connection almost always leads to failure.

Plugging one adapter into another adapter is just a bad idea. Anyone considering the purchase of an adapter to plug into another adapter should ask prior to purchase (or just don't do it). And I don't mean your local Best Buy or even Apple store sales rep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.