Mac re-install issue

Reaction score
hello,
My mac started running very slowly around 3 days ago ( around 50% speed). This happened after I reconnected time machine-but thats a different issue.

Anyway, I decided to re-install mac Osx 10.6 (snow leopard) from the install disk. Started off ok, said around 7 hours install time. At around 3/4 of the way, it asked me to restart the mac and insert disk two. Now the problem starts. The mac wouldn't start up! tried the basic stuff like safe boo,t reset PRSM. Neither worked. Any help on continuing the re-install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.66ghz i7, 8gbram, 1tb hdd
hello,
My mac started running very slowly around 3 days ago ( around 50% speed). This happened after I reconnected time machine-but thats a different issue.

Anyway, I decided to re-install mac Osx 10.6 (snow leopard) from the install disk. Started off ok, said around 7 hours install time. At around 3/4 of the way, it asked me to restart the mac and insert disk two. Now the problem starts. The mac wouldn't start up! tried the basic stuff like safe boo,t reset PRSM. Neither worked. Any help on continuing the re-install

When you press the power button what happens? When its plugged in to the charger does anything light up?

Reaction score
Try this

If you have your time machine backup's on an external try this.
Boot from the OSX CD. After you choose your language look up top and under "Utilities" you will see Disk Utility. Go there and choose repair disk and see if that work's for you. If that doesn't work, repeat the process but Erase the disk and reformat using the Journaled setting that it should have in the window. Then go back under the "Utilities" to the Restore and Restore from your TMB. If that doesn't work then it's possible that you've had a hard ware failure.

C

chas_m

You say this happened right after you "re-connected" Time Machine (I'm not sure what you mean by that, since Time Machine is software). Could it be that TM was just doing another full backup and you were trying to use the machine while this happened? That would explain the slowdown, and thus the idea of re-installing the OS would have been a bad move.

It's also possible as Hillbilly says that your drive has suffered a failure, but they way you reported the issue makes me wonder.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but to put your minds to rest i better tell you that i gave it in to the apple shop for repair. They said that the harddrive had failed, and needed replacement. I guess that was the problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.