Mac Mini and windoes network printer

Reaction score
I have read all the mac mini help files related to connecting a windows shared printer and I have looked at several posts but I still can't "see" the windows printer.

Windows XP Network
Workgroup is "HOME"
Samsung CLP-500 printer is shared and the share name is "CLP-500"
Mac-Mini
OSX 10.6.7
Workgroup "HOME"

The help files appear to be dated because they say to click on non-existent items. Many posts also point to non-existent items.

Here is the process I am using and where it goes wrong:

I select system preferences and then Print & Fax
The Print & Fax window has no printers or faxes listed
Click on the + sign and the Add Printer window opens
The list of printers is empty.
Nothing is selectable and all data and the ADD button are shaded.

Various postings have said to click on "windows" in the toolbar. Unfortunatley that does not exist. Others have said to press the Control key or Option key and select the default icon in the toolbar. What default icon???

I think I am looking to find how to get to the advanced add printer area so I can put the workgroup and printer name in manually. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Pickybiker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not sure how hard this will be but if you could hook the printer up via usb to the Mini so
it will recognize the brand and model then you would be able to get the correct drivers
in the database. Then reconnect the printer to the PC and in control panel under printers
(classic view) right click and check sharred keeping in mind that the PC will have to stay on for it to print. I got tired of this a long time ago and got a hundred dollar HP networking printer and connected it to an Airport Extreme so all in the house could print at any time.

OP
P
Reaction score
I was hoping to get an answer on how to access the advanced menu to setting up a network printer so I could manually enter the workgroup and printer name. Is there such an area or is that just fiction that someone posted. If there is such an area, hkow does one access it in 10.6.7?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.