Self-Assigned IP address

Reaction score
Just recently, my airport stopped working and could connect, but would not get online. I fixed that problem and I connected to my friend's WEP connection. However, at my house it will not connect to my WEP connection. My sister's computer connects fine and I can connect to a neighbor's unprotected account (which I'm actually on right now), but not my own. I've tried resetting everything and have looked through previous threads, but can't find a solution.

Any help?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
WEP encryption is dead... your next door neighbor's 10 yr old can crack it in less than 1 minute.

Not only that, Macs in general do not like it (which imho is a good thing). Change the encryption to WPA/WPA2.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
WEP encryption is dead... your next door neighbor's 10 yr old can crack it in less than 1 minute.

Not only that, Macs in general do not like it (which imho is a good thing). Change the encryption to WPA/WPA2.

+1 on this. I honestly wish the entire industry would just eliminate it as an option. It's been dead for so long now, no modern network gear should even support it.

Reaction score
Sorry to HiJack the Thread but also have this problem. Its worked beautifully since I got my Macbook and then suddenly just went. =/ I have a Netgear router and have tried reverting all settings to default but still no look. Although I am deffo using WPA/ WPA2. I have tired with no encryption what so ever too, no luck =/ 'Connection Timeout'

Although I have recently started linking up my PS3 to the wireless, they both have been working fine, could they be conflicting Local IP Addresses? I'm having to use an ethernet connection at the moment as its just not working :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sorry Josh Netgear and Macs do not work well together.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But its been working for ages before hand without any problems what so ever! :(

Go into System Preferences => Network => Click Airport in the left window pane => Click Advanced => click to select your Netgear wireless network, then click "-" to remove it.

Now, you're completely disconnected. Attempt to reconnect normally and see if it's any better.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although I have recently started linking up my PS3 to the wireless, they both have been working fine, could they be conflicting Local IP Addresses? I'm having to use an ethernet connection at the moment as its just not working :(

Interesting. No - it wouldn't be a conflicting IP address unless you're using manual IP somewhere.

Are you using MAC filtering by chance?

Reaction score
As In MAC address filtering ? Wouldnt know to be honest, I havent set anything up that I know of. Having another play around I noticed that my PS3 also struggles to obtain an IP address while connecting wirelessly. But wired runs fine =/ Think it must be my router then. May try reverting to default settings again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Sorry Josh Netgear and Macs do not work well together.

This is not so true. What I've found is that to run an N only wireless network, encryption has to be set to WPA2 ONLY (can't even used the mixed Wpa/wpa2 mode) I had the same connection timeout issues until I set everything up this way. Works fine now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.