Booting Windows from External/containing MPB hard drive with OSX & windows partitions

Reaction score
Okay, I am using an iMac and I am trying to boot Windows XP off an external hard drive that contains my previous hard drive which is a MacBook Pro 120gb that has Leopard and a Boot Camp Windows XP partition.

Is that possible?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't believe you'd be able to boot Windows because of limitations germane to its boot loader, but OS X should be bootable (assuming the iMac is an Intel model).

You should be able to use WinClone to port the Boot Camp partition over to the internal HDD.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yep, I am able to boot OSX from the external, but when I turn the computer on and press 'Alt' it only shows the OSX partition from the external. In other words, when I press 'Alt' it shows the original OSX (internal hard drive partition) and the OSX on the External hard drive but Not the Windows partition on the External hard drive. Hope that makes sense..

ehh

I'll try Winclone and see if that works.

Edit: it say's it's discontinued..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I am able to boot OSX from the external, but when I turn the computer on and press 'Alt' it only shows the OSX partition from the external. In other words, when I press 'Alt' it shows the original OSX (internal hard drive partition) and the OSX on the External hard drive but Not the Windows partition on the External hard drive. Hope that makes sense..

ehh

Yep. Windows XP doesn't like to boot from an external, period - even on a regular PC. I've heard there are hacks to make it do so, but have not ever successfully done so.

OP
P
Reaction score
Exactly right. I was reading up on all the hacks and tricks but it all appears to take too much time and effort for what I intend to use Windows for. I found a download of Winclone on Cnet.co m. That should work for what I want to do.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use VMware fusion or Parallels to emulate the boot camp partition from the USB?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it be possible to use VMware fusion or Parallels to emulate the boot camp partition from the USB?

Absolutely. But you're not really using Boot Camp (which really just splits your internal hard drive), you're using Parallels/VMWare to run Windows, with the hard drive configured on a different volume.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.