Dlink with USB

Reaction score
I bought a DLINK DIR655 with a usb port. I was hoping I could have wireless access to an external hard drive. I talked to support, (DLINK), and they tell me there is no utility for mac. Really!? None!? Surely, some enterprising person has a solution?
Thanks,
Jim

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I actually downloaded the software from there but have no idea as to how it's supposed to work. I'll try for only so long before I give up and spend at least twice the money for airport extreme.
Again, my thanks,
Jim

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would suggest spending the money on an ethernet capable external drive before spending money on a router that allows for USB connections of external drives.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I haven't used any of these. I do have that 655 router and I use a Time Capsule for Time Machine backups, a directly attached external via FW for bootable clones and have been using a Windows Home Server for network storage. But, here's a couple examples.

Newegg.com - Western Digital WDBACG0010HCH-NESN 1TB My Book Live Home Network Drive
Newegg.com - Seagate STAM2000100 2TB GoFlex Home Network Storage System
Newegg.com - Seagate STAM3000100 3TB GoFlex Home Network Storage System
Newegg.com - D-Link DNS-323 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure Several members are using this box.

If you're planning on using Time Machine to a drive not directly attached to your computer, the Time Capsule makes it painless. It takes a little work around to get any other network attached storage to work with it - should be easy google away.

OP
S
Reaction score
Those are some cool options. I swear my local electronics box store is staffed with less than stellar folks. I went in and described my wants, in what I thought, were clear terms. So now I have an external hard drive and a router which I will now return. I live in small town and must drive to big town. Well... maybe I should have talked to you folks first.
Anyway, thanks to all.
Jim

C

chas_m

For the record, the Apple solution -- though it can be pricey -- "just works" and is quite delightful.

Reaction score
I have a D-Link 655 and the way I have it set up is my hard drive is connected to the USB port on the router. My Mac Mini is wired to the router and as long as my Mini is turned on, I can access the hard drive thru any computer. I didn't need any extra software. If you need some help I would be more than glad to help out with some screenshots or something...

For the record, the Apple solution -- though it can be pricey -- "just works" and is quite delightful.

Yeah, it "just works" but not with everything. I have many components that connect to WiFi and need DNLA support, and unfortunately Apple routers don't have that feature.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have not connected anything to the USB port on my 655. Does it just assign it an IP address as if it were attached via ethernet?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.