HP 2100 Laserjet on Trendnet TE100-P1P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
THe only thing I am have issues with is printing to my HP Laserjet 2100. THe 2100 has a parallel printer connection, LPT1. I put a Trendnet TE100-P1P printer server on it. My three Windows computers can successfully print to it. Unfortunately, I cannot get my MacBook Pro to print to it.

When I add the printer, I select IP. I have tried all three Protocols. IPP, LPD and HP Jetdirect. All fail (Using the HP 2100 Series driver listed in the "Print Using" drop down)

IPP and LPD connect and print, but the output looks like a bad driver. Page after page of gibberish. The Jetdirect will not print at all.

Any suggestions. Buying a new printer is NOT in the budget. I could swing a new print server if necessary. But to me it looks like a bad driver.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Monty

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Use LPD, then make sure you manually change the driver (do not use Generic Postscript). I believe there should be a LaserJet 2100 driver in the list. That should do the trick. If it doesn't, try a LaserJet 4000 driver (any PCL driver should work fine).

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tied both the 2100 and 4000 driver. Same results. It does not work.

An interestring thing I did find was Google Cloud Printer. Once set up, I can print to a shared printer from anywhere on the Internet. IT appears it can only be done from within CHrome.

Monty

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am beginning to suspect the Trendnet TE100-P1P. None of the drivers I have tried worked. I am considering a D-Link DP-301P .

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am beginning to suspect the Trendnet TE100-P1P. None of the drivers I have tried worked. I am considering a D-Link DP-301P .

Doubtful. Print servers are pretty simplistic. This reeks of a driver issue to me. Have you tried any of the Gutenprint drivers?

OP
MontyMo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doubtful. Print servers are pretty simplistic. This reeks of a driver issue to me. Have you tried any of the Gutenprint drivers?

WORDS!!!!
I can read WORDS!!!

THe Gutenprint drivers worked first try!!!
Thanks CWA107!!!

Monty

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WORDS!!!!
I can read WORDS!!!

THe Gutenprint drivers worked first try!!!
Thanks CWA107!!!

Monty

Glad to hear you've got it running.

Network printing with 3rd party print servers has always been a weak spot of OS X. Fortunately, most modern printers are shipping with built-in networking. And doubly-important for you, high-end HP printers tend to play ball with generic drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.