Windows XP Home Edition on my MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
I'm having problems installing Windows XP Home Edition on my MacBook Pro. I've gotten to where the BootCamp Assistant says to put in the XP disc and press start. When I do that the screen goes black and I get a message on the top "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration"...and there it stays and does nothing..
Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm having problems installing Windows XP Home Edition on my MacBook Pro. I've gotten to where the BootCamp Assistant says to put in the XP disc and press start. When I do that the screen goes black and I get a message on the top "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration"...and there it stays and does nothing..
Any ideas?

Make sure your Windows disc meets the requirements for Boot Camp, which are as follows:

1. It must be either a retail (non-upgrade) edition, or an "OEM for System Builders". Discs that came from computer manufacturers like Dell, HP, etc. are often tailored for the machine they were sold with.
2. It must have SP2 or better integrated.
3. If the disc has been used on another computer (that is still in service), it can not be used again (or you will have issues with product activation).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.