UPDATING...query..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
hi....
now i am going to update my mac for the 1st time....

updates i am going to download are...
Mac OS X Update combined 10.6.7 1.06gb
iweb update 3.0.3 185.9mb
Java for Mac OS X Update 4 1.0 78.2mb
iphoto 9.1.1 65.6mb
safari 39.3mb
and airport utility 12.3 mb

now if i download these updates and after when they are installed ....are ther some files to be deleted...like i am running mac OS X 10.6.6 so will it be deleted or overwritten....my main concern is will any additional space be used...thanks in advance..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I always do the updates then run my apps and if no problems occur continue on if something stalls or acts funny I run Repair Disk Permission which will take care of it 99%
of the time.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
where are temp files ??????

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and where is run disk repair....i suppose with this mac platform no update gonna act funny....windows updates are funny as they come

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds a lot like you're trying to manage your Mac the way you would manage a Windows machine - the OSes are completely different and for the most part, you needn't worry about maintenance.

Disk Utility (located in Applications => Utilities) is roughly akin to Disk Management/CHKDSK in Windows.

If you feel the need to clear things like temp files and caches (which shouldn't be done very often - maybe once every few months or so), check out Onyx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just download the Mac OS X.6.7 Combo Updater and it will handle everything. Any files that need deleting will be deleted automatically. Run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility before and after updating.

C

chas_m

Just download the Mac OS X.6.7 Combo Updater and it will handle everything. Any files that need deleting will be deleted automatically. Run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility before and after updating.

What harryb said, but if Disk Utility shows any messages, don't get alarmed. This is perfectly normal (unless the message is printed in red -- if you see a message from Disk Utility in red, THAT you should pay attention to!).

In short, do the updates. They will take up a small amount of additional space (since they usually bring improvements), but they replace only the components they speak of and do not affect normal operations at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.