• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Sony boss reportedly reveals Apple's plans for 8MP iPhone 5 camera - rumour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
*OOps*

What happens next? That's what I wanna know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
8mp....mmmmmmmmm....droooooolllll.. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
8MP sounds great, but I hope it's more than just a pixel bump but another improvement in the overall lens like Apple did with the current 5MP camera. The current 8MP Android phones are proof that more pixels isn't always better.

Also, I'm more interested in Apple upgrading the cameras in the iPad 3. Once I hear confirmation of that, I'm upgrading my iPad :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
8MP sounds great, but I hope it's more than just a pixel bump but another improvement in the overall lens like Apple did with the current 5MP camera. The current 8MP Android phones are proof that more pixels isn't always better.

Also, I'm more interested in Apple upgrading the cameras in the iPad 3. Once I hear confirmation of that, I'm upgrading my iPad :)

True that.

Hopefully it's not just to bump up the specs.

Reaction score
Often, just adding pixels does not increase picture quality.

I call those "marketing pixels".

A good example is that older 6 MP DSLRs can blow away 14 MP compacts overall.

Often the extra noise from the tiny pixels requires more noise reduction processing which basically blurs away the noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I fully agree with less being more in the case of phone cameras with itsy bitsy sensors. Cramming more MP on to them is stupid since it only means that less light is able to reach the photons. That = more compression needed and more noise reduction needed. Overall a bad experience. Though in the defense of some companies, we've got pretty good software which deals with all of that. So if you have decent enough glass and good light, you should be ok.

I rather like the results I get from my EVO 4g:

(yes, I wanted the city like that I focused on the boardwalk as I like the depth of field this created) I lowered the saturation and upped the contrast by 1 step here in the phone cameras settings.
5583857906_7672b552b8_z.jpg

5583350195_201395abd5_z.jpg

I use an camera app (from the droid market) called Vignette, which allows better manipulation for color, effects, borders/frames etc.. Desaturated this a tad as well as reduced contrast. Great app. Used it for all the photos here. Much better than the standard phone camera app, which in its self is pretty good.
5583370939_2f81d60d8a_z.jpg

Oh, and I ran these through Lightroom ONLY to add the watermark. No other editing was done. In fact, running these compressed to heck photos through LR, only to be exported with more compression is not a good thing.. but they look fine to me.

Doug

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with the above posts.
Most people think wow 8MP in a phone is awesome. And I must have. And forget that without a good lens and all the rest the extra MP is kind of wasted. I'm pretty sure Apple are aware of this. And would not just add more MP for marketing. Hopefully the resultant picture quality is great and does not compromise at all on battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't get why people are jumping to slam down 8mp. CLEARLY we know not everything revolves around high mp's, but knowing apple, and how the iphone's camera is pretty good, having it jump to 8mp will only make it that much better. Dang people!! There are actual camera's if you are truly that worried about having good quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't get why people are jumping to slam down 8mp. CLEARLY we know not everything revolves around high mp's, but knowing apple, and how the iphone's camera is pretty good, having it jump to 8mp will only make it that much better. Dang people!! There are actual camera's if you are truly that worried about having good quality.

This all depends upon whether or not they've also increased the density of the sensor, vs simply cramming more megapixels on the same sized one. If the sensor is the same size as it is now, and they try to fit more MP on it, what happens is that less light is able to reach each photon. This means that in turn, they'll have to fine tune the compression in the software, as well as try to "enhance" the noise reduction algorithm in order to compensate for the luminance and color noise grain.

That's really just a part of it, but enough to make a big difference. Megapixels, especially on a camera phone mean ZILCH. My Evo would produce the same, if not better images with a 4 MP sensor. In fact, I wish it had one rather than 8. I remember this old Kodak point and shoot I had some years ago, maximum 6 MP I think? Of course the sensor was slightly larger than our phone's cameras, but it took fantastic images that you could blow up really large prints with. I wish I hadn't brought it into the waters of Vieques' Mosquito bay That thing died instantly from the massively concentrated amounts of salt amongst other things...

Plenty of info Here about sensors etc..

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.