Bootcamp Problem

Reaction score
Hello. I recently decided to delete my windows partition on my hard drive. However I only went into disk utilities and deleted which just emptied it out, not deleting the partition itself. I later learned that you had to go into bootcamp manager to delete a partition but now it dosen't present me with the option of creating or deleting a partition, it jumps straight to the install a windows os step (which it also won't let me do, claiming that the hard drive can't be partitioned). Is there any way for me to install windows on this empty partiton or to delete it and regain the space? Thanks in advance :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Head into Disk Utility and delete the partition, not just the data.

Then grab the corner of the OS X partition and drag it down to include all the space.

Make sure you have a backup prior to doing this. Things can and do happen when partitioning.

Am pretty sure you can't do this while booted up in OS X. You'll need to do this while booted from the OS X disc.

(And yes, partitions created with BootCamp Assistant should also be deleted the same way to prevent hassles.
I'm not sure if this method will reset BCA so that you can then partition and install Windows again. But I'd give it a try.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.