MacBook - Login/Startup Problems

Reaction score
So my MacBook can't login.

/g.g.

Basically it gets past the "loading screen", with the gray background and apple in the middle. Since my laptop is hooked up with my school's log-in verification system, I have to use my school's log-in to actually get into the computer.

Now, as soon as I attempt to login, my laptop freezes itself. As soon as I click else where on the screen the little rainbow circle pops up...

I know the problem isn't my school login thing, it's something with the laptop itself.

Any ideas/suggestions?

PS: I've already gone to my school and they have had no solutions to my problem. They've told me everything is fine with my account, so it must be a hardware issue.

Reaction score
So my MacBook can't login.

/g.g.

Basically it gets past the "loading screen", with the gray background and apple in the middle. Since my laptop is hooked up with my school's log-in verification system, I have to use my school's log-in to actually get into the computer.

Now, as soon as I attempt to login, my laptop freezes itself. As soon as I click else where on the screen the little rainbow circle pops up...

I know the problem isn't my school login thing, it's something with the laptop itself.

Any ideas/suggestions?

PS: I've already gone to my school and they have had no solutions to my problem. They've told me everything is fine with my account, so it must be a hardware issue.

Sounds more of a software problem than a hardware problem to me. Are you able to log onto other networks? What kind of wireless security is the school network using?

Have you attempted to create a new user on your MacBook to see if you can log in under a new user? How about other mac users? Are they able to log in without any problems? Have you checked their settings to make sure there's not something different in their configuration that allows them to connect?

There are probably several steps to take b4 concluding that the issue is necessarily related to hardware.

OP
Q
Reaction score
My MacBook cannot get past the "login" part. It boots up fine up until I have to login using my school's ID. As soon as I attempt to login, it freezes and I can't really do anything about it other than reboot my laptop and just try again.

From the login screen, I cannot choose to connect to other networks. This laptop is wired to my account, so I'm the only one that can login.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
First of all, if possible, get a backup of your data.
1. Make sure you date and time are set properly. If your school uses Kerberos authentication, any variance larger than 5 minutes will block login.
2. If your computer is bound to an Active Directory domain, have the IT department unbind/rebind to the domain - test login.
3. If login continues to fail, have IT department remove your user account, saving the data locally to a dmg file, and recreate the account. Test the login, and if it works, pull whatever data you need from the old DMG and toss the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.