could i put a Intel Core i7 Quad-core I7-870 2.93GHz in my 2009 27 inch iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and
Hi guys, I was wondering if a Intel Core i7 Quad-core I7-870 2.93GHz
( lynnfield ) would be compatible in my 2009 27" iMac. It currently has the original 2.66Ghz i5 in it. Thanks, Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
You should be able to.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" Macbook pro 2.2Gh Quad Core 8GB RAM and 2009 27" iMac 2.93Ghz ( Custom Mod ) Quad core and
Thanks I was just making sure before I spent the money on it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't put all your stock into my response, do some more researching before you try. I've personally heard mixed results for people trying to upgrade the cpus on their iMacs.

I've heard of people trying to upgrade their clarkdales to lynnfields and being unsuccessful, but I've also heard of people upgrading from lynnfield to lynnfield and being successful.

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/335/page2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A simple Goole search reveals that no one has really tried this yet, or at least hasn't been talked about if it has been done. You can give it a whirl but you are doing something that really hasn't been tried and the potential for it costing more money than it's worth does exist. If you do, I'd say document the heck out of it and then make it available on-line.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sure will post the results of this experiment. but it will be a couple week's (2-3) gotta save my allowance up my birthday is al little far off ( I turn 15 june 5 :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
From a PC perspective, This kind of upgrade is only possible if the BIOS contains the proper microcode for the new CPU. Different class Processors (Clarkdale, Lynnfield, etc...) have different microcode requirements that are normally added to BIOS updates for PCs allowing them to use newer processors so long as they have the same socket and voltage specs supported by the motherboard.

Macs on the other hand are not designed with CPU upgrade in mind and their firmware (EFI) is most likely not updated with newer microcode unless they use a universal binary across multiple mac models (and even that dosen't mean it will work).

An I7-870 is close to $300. Make sure that whatever retailer you are going through has a return policy that accepts opened hardware back for refund just in case.

-MikeM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of luck returning an opened and used CPU. I bought many CPUs in the past and all sales were final.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, if it doesn't work... and you don't wind up frying the thing while trying you could always either try to sell it or maybe just build a nice little Linux box or maybe a Win box for gaming if you're into that.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A simple Goole search reveals that no one has really tried this yet, or at least hasn't been talked about if it has been done.

You havn't searched hard enough then. :)

I know of a couple of people who have tried core2duo to core2quad on older iMacs with no success, a couple of clarkdale to lynnfield with no success, but have not heard of lynnfield to lynnfield, although the link I provided is one success story of lynnfield to lynnfield.

To op: if you'er only 15 you might not want to spend that kind of money on just a more powerful lynnfield over the one you already have! It might be a painful process trying to return it if for some reason it doesn't work. If you're looking for raw speed gains in your computer, an SSD will both be safer, easier and more noticeable. It also won't void your warranty by removing that sticker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I know of a couple of people who have tried core2duo to core2quad on older iMacs with no success, a couple of clarkdale to lynnfield with no success, but have not heard of lynnfield to lynnfield, although the link I provided is one success story of lynnfield to lynnfield.

Actually I have. The C2D and CD machines apparently had the CPU glued to the socket and were not upgraded. The OP isn't talking about an older machine, he's talking about a newer i5 to an i7 (Lynnfield to Lynnfield). Completely different setup and the CPUs are apparently NOT glued to the board and are removable. That link was the only one I found in my limited search that showed exactly how to do it and said that it should work.

Seems like a lot of work though.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

To op: if you'er only 15 you might not want to spend that kind of money on just a more powerful lynnfield over the one you already have! It might be a painful process trying to return it if for some reason it doesn't work. If you're looking for raw speed gains in your computer, an SSD will both be safer, easier and more noticeable. It also won't void your warranty by removing that sticker.
An SSD wouldn't really be the kind of performance i was looking for I use this computer primarily for iPhone/iPod Development in Xcode and 3D modeling in motion and edit video's in FCP7. I have alot of confidence with myself of the fact of taking it apart ( already done it two times second time followed a tutorial and got it to a bare shell and then reassembled it without the tutorial ) :) but your advice is greatly appreciated :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.