Slow Internet (but only one Mac!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
Hi,

I have an Airport Extreme base station, with a PowerMac G5 (on 10.4) and iBook G4 (on 10.3) both wirelessly connected. A few days ago I woke my PowerMac up, and the internet was really really slow, pages take a very long time to load, and I'm downloading at 2KB per second max.

But then when I try with the iBook, it's still as fast as it always was, downloads same as always, no problems.

I can't remember changin anything on the PowerMac or installing any new software recently, anyone know what's wrong? I've tried the usual restart, repair permissions, but nothing's worked. Using Safari 2.0.1 (but it was slower before the 2.0.1 update, and OS X 10.4.2)

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried power-cycling the entire setup? It is a quick and easy step that clears up quite a few issues with speed and throughput for a lot of people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I agree.. powereverything down in the set up... computer, router, modem...(maybe on the modem in this case) and then wait a few minutes and plug it all back in... you should be fine afterwards.. if not, check to make sure that powermac is getting a strong signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Sometimes if you create a new Network Location and duplicate the Airport settings you will clear up random issues. Most folks are still using the "Automatic" location. Try adding a new one.

OP
hollerz.mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
Hi, the power-cycling thing seems to of fixed it (touch wood!), everythings fast again now, so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks a lot!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
no problem... just always remember that sometimes that helps to fix a network problem...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.