• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro 7 - high temperatures when using log and transfer (?).

Reaction score
I have a MBP 17", 2.8 Core 2 Duo (late 2009 model) and 4GB ddr3 memory running FCP 7.

I have recently purchased a Panasonic SD60 video camera and have been learning to use both.

When using the 'log and transfer' option to take the footage from the SD card to the computer, whether the clip is 1min or 10mins, the computer reaches temps of 90 degrees and higher! Istat menu also shows that both the processors are maxing at 99-100%. Nothing else is running i.e from a clean boot and the fans are at default speed = 2000rpm.

My mate can't remember exactly (he will tell me in a few days) but using the same camera and doing the same things on his 2008 MBP, he gets temps of about 60-70 degrees.

I can understand that it is really CPU intensive to transfer full HD footage but do these readings sound 'right'? Surely leaving the computer transferring the footage for 1 hour at 90+ degree and both processors can't be good?!

Thanks for anything you can shed from your experience! Cheers.

OP
B
Reaction score
Also I've forgot to say, alternatively I could just use a SD reader (as the camera takes SD only, no internal space) but would this change anything?

Is is better to use a USB-SD reader or Express card (yes my mbp model has one of those instead!)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I have had some processes take my temperature up to 90 degrees, though that is rather high. But I think your computer can safely go up to 120 degrees and your Mac will automatically shut itself down if it gets too hot.

OP
B
Reaction score
^Thanks for that. I have read those sort of statistics..

No one uses FCP 7 here then?

I've never really had my temperatures go up that high before except for gaming, in which I turn up the fans. It reaches the 80s but never 90s and both processors are not maxed.

I.e 90 degrees temp and core 2 duo processors at 100% can't be right?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I do use FCP 7 and I transcode a lot of video and it can get close to 100 degrees. If gaming takes the temperature that high, so would digitizing movie files. It's high but not shockingly high, not to me at least. Just remember that your computer monitors its own temperature and will simply shut down if it's getting dangerously hot.

OP
B
Reaction score
Apologies if i came across as questioning your reasoning, I didn't realise you do use FCP, as I thought you were just talking generally.

But thanks for the reaffirmations. It still doesn't sound right to me but then I'm just probably being really anal.

Cheers mate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.