Coming from Ubuntu Chrome

Reaction score
I innocently thought if I exported my bookmarks to my external HD, I could then import them into Chrome for OSX but apparently it doesn't work that way. I can see the file but the name is greyed out. Is there a way I can do this or will I have to reassemble my old machine and do a sync?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
You can painlessly sync your Chrome bookmarks across multiple computers and OSs. I have my Chrome bookmarks synced across my MBP, Windows PC, and Ubuntu netbook. In Chrome, look in Options under "Personal Stuff" to set up sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
You can painlessly sync your Chrome bookmarks across multiple computers and OSs. I have my Chrome bookmarks synced across my MBP, Windows PC, and Ubuntu netbook. In Chrome, look in Options under "Personal Stuff" to set up sync.

+1 This rules!
Tools| Preferences|Personal Stuff

I sync everything. IT is so nice to have browsing history even plugins transfer from computer to computer. All behind the scenes.

Reaction score
I innocently thought if I exported my bookmarks to my external HD, I could then import them into Chrome for OSX but apparently it doesn't work that way. I can see the file but the name is greyed out. Is there a way I can do this or will I have to reassemble my old machine and do a sync?

Sometimes, when I save files, my Mac won't automatically add the appropriate file extension. The result is that programs looking for a certain type of file end up greying out files which ought to work. Perhaps something similar happened with your exported file.

If I am, indeed, correct, try adding the appropriate extension to your file and then Chrome ought to allow you to select and import it.

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I just booted up my openSUSE VM and exported my bookmarks from Chrome there. I went to import them into Chrome here in OS X and everything went well. How did you export your bookmarks?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thankyou for the input guys. Shikarnov, you had it spot on. I simply added .html to the end of the file name and Chrome picked it up no problem. Coming from Ubuntu, extensions are something I never had to think about much. Thankyou.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.