Where are my security holes?

Reaction score
Help me understand where I need passwords and any other securities measures. I have created a mini-network almost by default and I want to understand where someone can gain access to my little setup.

For the better part of the last 8 years I have been a one computer person, running a G4 desktop at home. My wife and I have two user sets ups on the computer but neither have passwords as no one else lives with us. When not using the computer in the past simply shut it down.

We recently purchased a new big screen TV that came with software to connect with Netflixs and some other movie programs over the internet. As a result we picked up a Netgear wi-fi modem. We did set up a password on the wi-fi modem.

Now I have picked up a MacBook Pro. So far I have not set up a password for logging into the computer but I have only had it a week.

So now I have a little network. What do I need to do to protect myself. Is my MBP vnerable since it is broadcasting? I often just put the laptop to sleep, with the Airpot ON. Can my MBP be access in this mode?

Can someone sit on the street in front of the house and get into most of my stuff now that we have this setup? I a also worried about someone getting into the main computer, the G4, via the modem?

Any assistance appreciated,

D300

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Help me understand where I need passwords and any other securities measures. I have created a mini-network almost by default and I want to understand where someone can gain access to my little setup.

For the better part of the last 8 years I have been a one computer person, running a G4 desktop at home. My wife and I have two user sets ups on the computer but neither have passwords as no one else lives with us. When not using the computer in the past simply shut it down.

We recently purchased a new big screen TV that came with software to connect with Netflixs and some other movie programs over the internet. As a result we picked up a Netgear wi-fi modem. We did set up a password on the wi-fi modem.

Now I have picked up a MacBook Pro. So far I have not set up a password for logging into the computer but I have only had it a week.

So now I have a little network. What do I need to do to protect myself. Is my MBP vnerable since it is broadcasting? I often just put the laptop to sleep, with the Airpot ON. Can my MBP be access in this mode?

Can someone sit on the street in front of the house and get into most of my stuff now that we have this setup? I a also worried about someone getting into the main computer, the G4, via the modem?

Any assistance appreciated,

D300

Need to set your wireless security protocol to WPA or WPA2 for your network and pick a good strong password. It is probably best to broadcast your SSID and it shouldn't beva security issue if you use WPA with a good password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.