help with imac g5

Reaction score
my machine is soooo slow.
It is 5 years old.
occasionally locks up and i have to unplug and reboot.
after taking over 6 minutes to boot i took it to the apple store and the "genius" ran some diagnostics and said he thought my hard drive was going.
Then told me that my machine was too old for them to work on and referred me to a local repair shop who also ran diagnostics and installed more
ram.
The first time i used it, it locked up again and then took 3 1/2 minutes to boot.
Please help
Also I bought the machine 2 weeks before the intel based machines were available, what a bummer.
Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Why would the repair shop install more ram when the Apple genius said that your hard drive is going? Because from the symptoms it really seems like the most likely thing. Make a back up of your data and replace the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
I agree with MacDude121. Replace the Hard Drive. More RAM will not help if your HHD is failing. While you can, back up all your data to an outboard HDD. Run the Hardware Disc that came with your machine and see if it verifies that your HDD is dying. New Hard Drives are cheap and you may be able to replace it if you are handy with tools you will need. You can find instructions on how to do it by going to ifixit.com.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks chipz and macdude
I did not get a Hardware disk with my machine and don't have an external hard drive to back up my stuff.
What are my alternatives?
I have microsoft office for mac on my machine, Quicken and clean my mac.
Mechanically I am not bad, but have never tried working inside a computer.
Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
Back up your files from Quicken and Office to either CD's or a USB drive. Most of the files usually should fit on those devices. The instructions at ifixit.com are very good and easy to follow, If you are careful, you should have no problems. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, have a computer shop that does work on macs do it. I recommend getting a good sized HDD -
say a 320 GB or more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.