Airport Extreme BS Disconnects during high traffic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL
I have an Airport Extreme Base Station running v. 7.5.2 firmware. For the past few months now when I do anything that strains the network in the slightest, such as downloading a file or watching youtube, the internet drops out for about a minute and then suddenly starts working again.

With Airport utility open, whenever the internet drops out, two errors come up that say Double NAT and no DNS servers - these go away when the router comes back online though.

This happens with both wireless and wired connections to the AEBS on Mac and Windows computers alike.

A little bit of information on my setup is I have Comcast, internet comes in to a Motorola cable modem which then goes to the AEBS. Internet connects to IPv4 using DHCP, and I have it set to share a public IP address. No wireless security (no neighbors live close enough to the house to get connection)

Any help would be great, been trying to figure this problem out for ages and have found nothing that helps!!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Turn NAT off on the AE - you already have NAT from the Motorola cable modem. That should take care of it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mmk just did, gonna see how it works and I'll message back with the results!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-deleted comment-

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You're welcome :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CRAP I spoke too soon, literally right after closing this window the internet froze again. I checked Airport utility and it's reporting the same problems, double NAT and no DNS servers found. I have NAT disabled too, so I don't know what to do now :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you put the AEBS in bridge mode it can not double NAT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.