Is it a problem to run my computer without turning it off for close to 5 months?

Reaction score
I have a 17" MBP with a 3.06 intel core 2 duo processor. I just joined Crashplan and am uploading my HD. At the speed of my home internet connection, this will take 3-5 months if I run my computer uninterruptedly. They offer the option for 125 of sending you a external HD you can copy too.

I dont mind not turning my computer off for that long. But I do worry if that wear and tear means my computer will die that much quicker, in which case saving money by declining that 125 option isn't such a good idea.

So, it it bad to leave my computer on for so long without end?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
No.

I turn mine off when I travel with it, which works out to every 4 to 6 months. No problems.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Seems a pretty unrealistic scenario though - 6 months for your initial backup (this assumes you don't have to restart that process for some reason). I think you should definitely take them up on the offer of an external drive for the initial copy.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have to admit that I read the title of the OP's post and then skimmed the post.

There is no way I would do a backup that took 5 to 6 months for the initial! And honestly, for $125 you could probably pick up two external hard drives and swap them out occasionally.

Reaction score
I have to admit that I read the title of the OP's post and then skimmed the post.

There is no way I would do a backup that took 5 to 6 months for the initial! And honestly, for $125 you could probably pick up two external hard drives and swap them out occasionally.

Ditto! 5 months for a backup? Murphy's law would have it that I would have a crash in the next 30 days!

Besides, if it's going to take 3+ months to UPLOAD your backup, how long will it take to download it? Seeing that a lot of ISP plans offer about a 3-6:1 ration of download:upload, then you'd potentially be looking at 3-4+ weeks to download your backup in the event of a crash. I don't know about the OP, but my work is so dependent on my system, I can barely go a day without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Ditto! 5 months for a backup? Murphy's law would have it that I would have a crash in the next 30 days!

Besides, if it's going to take 3+ months to UPLOAD your backup, how long will it take to download it? Seeing that a lot of ISP plans offer about a 3-6:1 ration of download:upload, then you'd potentially be looking at 3-4+ weeks to download your backup in the event of a crash. I don't know about the OP, but my work is so dependent on my system, I can barely go a day without it.

I dont think anyone would want to spend a month downloading a backup in the event of a crash.

You could buy a external hd for about £50 and then just use Time Machine.

I appreciate the option the op is using may be free but free isnt always the best option.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
5 months to backup my hard drive?? How long does it take to download your backup - 2 years???
That's as good as not having a backup imho.
I'd have to tell that company where they could put their backup plan.

Or at least:
speechless-smiley-020.gif

And walk off looking for any other option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.