PowerMac Dual 1ghz ?power supply? problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4; Dual 1GHz; 1,5 GB RAM; 300 GB HDD; GeForce 4 MX 64 MB
Hi guys!

recently I got a used PowerMac G4 Dual 1GHz, 1.5 GB RAM and 300 GB HDD. I was told that it was broken. It stood abandoned in the office for a very long time. I took it home and plugged in to the socket and I found that it was working fine. Actually it was working fine for two days . On the next day I tried to turn it on with no luck. Light on the power switch lights up for a sec, fan spins for a sec and that's it. I took computer apart, tried to make it work with one memory 512, with two and with three with no luck. I checked all cables etc. Nothing. Next day in the morning I tried to boot up the G4 and success! I downloaded all the updates but when I restarted computer it didn't boot up again. I had to wait 15 minuts to boot it up again, but then after 3 minutes running system freezes and I can not do a thing. When I restart G4 it won't boot up again. Again I have to wait some time to force it to start but again after a while it freezes (I can see desktop, but can not do a thing), after restart won't boot up. Again I have to wait 20 minutes or so and it will boot up with the same result as I described above. Sometimes when the computer is switched off but plugged in to the socket I can hear ticking noise comming from the psu. Does it mean that the psu is faulty? At the moment there is 344 watt psu fitted. Any help will be much appreciated. cheers, simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like the power supply may need to be replaced. Go here for the parts and instructions to change it out.

Note that this site is in the US but it's my understanding they will ship to the UK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.