Networking problem with MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
After looking for hours for a resolution to this problem, it seems to be common but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard 10.6.7 and I want to print off the HP printer connected to the family's PC (running windows XP). The printer itself isn't connected to the wireless network but is connected through the PC. My dad can do this using his netbook with no problems.

But through doing this I realised that I don't pick up any of the other computers in the house on the same wireless network in the Finder sidebar. I went through all the usual set up in network on my mac for file and printer sharing but still no joy. I also set up the main computer as it should be to share files with but to no avail.

I've turned both the macbook and the computer on and off again (!) but again this has had no effect.

When the macbook is joined to other networks it tends to only pick up other macs rather than pcs, so is this a problem with Leopard or have I missed something?

Please help! This is really, really annoying!

Reaction score
Same here! even with smb active and afp active. I cant see any shared comps. I can connect via direct ip though.

Reaction score
I know what you have to do now. You have to manually share it by name.

smb://<share_name>

Open the accounts under preferences and then choose login

then take the share and drag and drop it into the start at login.

now the mount will automatically show up in the sidebar when you login.

Reaction score
ya but if your not pinging the right port it wont mean anything . You must have a firewall on your PC. Check to see that the sharing is enabled on the PC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.