Changed Router Password: Now Mac Doesn't Connect to WiFi

Reaction score
Hi,
My parents changed their router password from the long default password to a simpler one to remember. However since then I haven't been able to connect my MacBook to the internet.

Steps I have tried:
I have gone into the wireless network's information, clicked "Show Password" and typed in the new password and hit "Apply"

The web browser did not connect.

I have tried restarting both the Mac and the router and no luck connecting to the internet. When I review the password under "Show Password" it is the new password my parent's changed it to.

Airport does detect the network but it is not connecting the web browser.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Just for kicks try connecting to the router via an ethernet cable, this is just to try and rule out the router being picky with your computer.

Post back the results.

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, Simon....

Fair to rule out the router as a problem, but I am posting these messages from a separate laptop that is wirelessly connected to the network. So I know the internet (and router) are working.

Furthermore, the MacBook shows that I have a signal. It is on, wireless network identified and checked, green circle in network system preferences, "full bars," and automatically assigning an IP address. It is only the MacBook that will not allow the web browser to work (Safari and Firefox both are not connecting).

Any follow up thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
OK follow-up thoughts as follows, some you may have already tried anyway but i'll list them...

- Restart your MacBook

- Turn off then on your Airport through System Prefs > Network > Turn Airport Off

- Forget the connection through System Prefs > Network > Advanced, click your network then click the minus button underneath it, then re-setup the connection.

Hope one of these helps, but keep us posted.
Cheers

- Simon

OP
G
Reaction score
Simon,

Thanks again for your suggestions and patience! Here is feedback on each item you presented....

1. I have reset my MacBook no less than 15 times while working on the problem. I have tried reseting between "fixes" to let the computer refresh. I have tried different combinations of reseting with different network setting changes. That has not yielded any internet connection.

2. I turned OFF Airport, restarted my laptop, the IP address renewed, and I still could not get on the internet. I also just turned it OFF, waited 10 seconds, and then turned ON. No internet connection with that second approach either.

3. I had deleted the network earlier, reset computer, and then added network again (with name, password, and applying). No success when I did that.

OTHER: I have gone through the Diagnostic that the web browser shows when you get an error (no connection), and that gives me an error. I have added & deleted the network. I have made sure I am using the proper password. I have a signal, but can't connect. I have googled (on the laptop that is working). I know the MacBook wirelss works, as I have used it at another location today with it working. It is just this current location with the password reset that is problematic.

I am really at a loss, and think I am going to take it to the "Genius Bar" at the local Mac store. Truly maddening to not be able to change a wireless password successfully. Seems like a simple thing to do, but I have put two hours into this unwanted chore today. Chances are there is a "user error" on my end! :)

Thanks for your help, Simon.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Couple of things to try.

1st - is the router using WEP encyrption? If it is, change it to WPA or WPA2. On top of the fact that WEP is child's play to crack, some Macs just really do not play nice with it.

2nd - Set up another user account, log into that one and see if you still have the same issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.