pls help

Reaction score
hi there, i have some jpg files in my mac, and i copy and paste it to my ext HDD, and try to open the files using windows OS, but it cants, why? anyone here can help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
hi there, i have some jpg files in my mac, and i copy and paste it to my ext HDD, and try to open the files using windows OS, but it cants, why? anyone here can help

Can Windows even see those files? If not, you probably have the drive formatted using HFS+, which Windows has no native support for.

OP
A
Reaction score
Can Windows even see those files? If not, you probably have the drive formatted using HFS+, which Windows has no native support for.

my hdd is formatted in NTSF, now the window cant even read my file that copy from mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my hdd is formatted in NTSF, now the window cant even read my file that copy from mac

OS X doesn't have native support for writing to NTFS-formatted drives. What are you using to enable OS X to write to it?

And are you certain you are copy/pasting the complete files, and not pasting an alias?

OP
A
Reaction score
OS X doesn't have native support for writing to NTFS-formatted drives. What are you using to enable OS X to write to it?

And are you certain you are copy/pasting the complete files, and not pasting an alias?

i was using this 3rd party program call "NTSF-3G" that recommended by my fren, they say just download this program it can read and write the HDD, but now i am having problem reading my jpeg file with my window copied by mac, wat should i do now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i was using this 3rd party program call "NTSF-3G" that recommended by my fren, they say just download this program it can read and write the HDD, but now i am having problem reading my jpeg file with my window copied by mac, wat should i do now?

Alrighty. Are you sure you copied the files, and not make an alias? When looking at the icons of the copies in OS X, do they have a little arrow in the corner?

OP
A
Reaction score
Alrighty. Are you sure you copied the files, and not make an alias? When looking at the icons of the copies in OS X, do they have a little arrow in the corner?

actually i copied the whole folder into my HDD and this message show up when i try to open it using windows OS

"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is in correct"

OP
A
Reaction score
but anyway, i trying to format my HDD so can u pls tell me what kind of format to format so that i can using in on both window and mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm. Either the folder or files are using characters that are not compatible with Windows, or there's a bug you are experiencing with NTFS-3G. Be sure you are using the latest version of NTFS-3G. Better yet, uninstall that and switch to the commercial version of Tuxera NTFS for Mac. This will work at maximum performance for 15 days. After that, if not registered, it will continue to work but at slower read/write speeds.

If your files or folders have non-standard text characters, test out a couple copies by renaming them to something simpler, then see if Windows will read them.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Either the folder or files are using characters that are not compatible with Windows, or there's a bug you are experiencing with NTFS-3G. Be sure you are using the latest version of NTFS-3G. Better yet, uninstall that and switch to the commercial version of Tuxera NTFS for Mac. This will work at maximum performance for 15 days. After that, if not registered, it will continue to work but at slower read/write speeds.

If your files or folders have non-standard text characters, test out a couple copies by renaming them to something simpler, then see if Windows will read them.

cool, i will trying to use the program u gave to me,, really thanks alot for the help, are u means that if i never register the program i am still able to use it? but slow?

OP
A
Reaction score
and another,, if i need to format my HDD, can i still format using windows and in NTFS?

OP
A
Reaction score
i tried to install and said my trail version have expired.. i think i have install b4,, :( what should i do now

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
.... Or format the disk as FAT32 ....
Only drawback is that a single file can not exceed 4GB in size.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried to install and said my trail version have expired.. i think i have install b4,, :( what should i do now

Follow my other advice, and copy a single file using a simple name (like, say picture.jpg) and see if Windows can read that. As before, it's possible you have folder or file names that Windows cannot recognize. If it can read a simply-named file, that would confirm it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.