Windows XP can't install

Reaction score
I'm trying to install windows XP using bootcamp but cannot do so. After I partition the disk and I click on install windows..my computer restarts and gets stuck on 'Setup is configuring your computers hardware..." and nothing happens. I have tried restarting the computer and running the setup directly and it doesnt work. Have also tried using someone elses XP cd but nothing happens beyond that. Im on snowleopard 10.6 and my computer is fully updated. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
What is the condition of the discs you are using? If they are scratched or have dirt on them it could be that your machine is just having trouble reading them.

HTH,

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you also tried leaving it on that screen instead of shutting it down? If you have and it still hangs it could have been a glitch in the partition, try setting up the partition again and retrying.

HTH,

- Simon

OP
O
Reaction score
I have waited for about 10 minutes or so. It doesn't take that long ... does it? Also..I've deleted the partition and made a new one more then twice now. :| I still have the same issue using 2 different XP cds. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Which version of XP specifically 32bit/64bit/home/pro/oem/retail/bundled/upgrade etc etc.

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm trying to install windows XP home x86 .. are there any compatibility issues with bootcamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's fine so long as it's a full retail or oem system builders version.

Does the disc read ok in OSX?

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes. I can see all the windows installer files on OSX. Its funny though. I had a macbook pro before this and I had the same issue..but I restarted the set up a couple of times and it worked. Anyway, that computer was faulty and I got a new replacement i5 a few days ago. I still have the same problem. But this time I have another windows cd and both dont work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that XP must be a full version SP2 or 3. You can use a MS boxed version or an OEM system builder's version. Recovery disks and OEM branded disks generally do not work. (Dell, Sony, HP, Toshiba, etc.) Same with multiple licensed disks, they too generally do not work.

OP
O
Reaction score
I asked a friend for the OEM version which isn't branded by any other laptop company...I yet have the same issue. Is there anything else I can try?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did it meet the criteria I outlined above? And, borrowing or using a CD from someone else is not ethical and even if it did work, it may not activate if it's been used before. You need to buy your own copy.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes. The cd tried now does meet the version mentioned above and I yet can't get it to work. I don't see any problem using another cd if not activated. I have original cds which used to work on.my previous computer but don't now. I don't plan to do anything unethical.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes. The cd tried now does meet the version mentioned above and I yet can't get it to work. I don't see any problem using another cd if not activated. I have original cds which used to work on.my previous computer but don't now. I don't plan to do anything unethical.

In my experience, the only thing that will hang up Boot Camp is the wrong disc. In particular, it MUST have SP2 integrated at a minimum. Does it specifically say that it does?

OP
O
Reaction score
Found time to call up customer care and they told me that only Windows 7 is compatible with the latest macbook pros. What a disappointment. Windows XP according me is the most stable around. Anyhow thanks to all above for your help. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're much better off with Windows 7 anyway. It utilizes memory in a more efficient manner than XP, and at the same time is more secure and can make use of the new IE 9 (which will not install to XP).

NewEgg currently has the OEM system builder's version for $99.99.

Reaction score
XP will still work, however, just so you know. AND I agree that Win7 is a better choice for a lot of reasons.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.