10.6 has slowed my MacBook.

Reaction score
Three days ago I upgraded from 10.5.8 to 10.6 and since then I've been regretting my decision. Though it wasn't expensive, just £26 but even SL is not worth to spend £26 for.
It has significantly slowed my MacBook. Safari sucks more than ever now.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi

Three days ago I upgraded from 10.5.8 (L) to 10.6 (SL) and since then I've been regretting my decision because it has significantly slowed my MacBook. Though I read reviews about SL on Apple's website and most of the people were not satisfied with SL but I thought to try and now regretting it.

Now, can someone please tell me how to make it run smoother/efficient?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I read reviews about SL on Apple's website and most of the people were not satisfied with SL
Most people not satisfied?
Most people are using Snow Leopard and enjoying it.
People don't generally get online and tell everyone how everything is just working, but it is the very few who do have issues who either get online to whine or ask for help.
Glad you went for the latter :)

So, I am guessing you did an upgrade rather than a clean install.

What I would do is back up with time machine, and do a clean install.

-Insert the disc that says install disc.
-Restart the computer and hold the 'C' key down as soon as you hear the chime until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

At the end of the installation you will be asked if you want to restore from your time machine backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And please do not cross post. Your posts have been combined.

OP
F
Reaction score
Most people not satisfied?
Most people are using Snow Leopard and enjoying it.
People don't generally get online and tell everyone how everything is just working, but it is the very few who do have issues who either get online to whine or ask for help.
Glad you went for the latter :)

So, I am guessing you did an upgrade rather than a clean install.

What I would do is back up with time machine, and do a clean install.

-Insert the disc that says install disc.
-Restart the computer and hold the 'C' key down as soon as you hear the chime until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

At the end of the installation you will be asked if you want to restore from your time machine backup.

Thank you very much for your step-by-step guide. I followed it and now my MacBook is working as fast and efficient as it worked on day 1 and I'm really enjoying SL now. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Pleasure... glad it helped :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.