• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

GoDaddy CEO shoots elephant, injures brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
In one African country I think it was they had a civil war like 30 years ago an in the civil war a lot of Elephants were collateral damage and died. Fast forward to 1005-2005+ and the surviving elephants remembered how their brethren were slaughtered. And they took out their vengeance. A long time coming I know. But the elephants just took this rage out on innocent livestock and on a very rare occasion people.

I also saw this on TV on some doco. So yeah shooting elephants is bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't care who eats meat and who doesn't. I'm more concerned with the hypocrisy. You know, being outraged at some dude killing an elephant while at the same time enjoying a "juicy, rare burger," for example. Again, eat your juicy burger, I don't care. But why is the life of an elephant more important than the life of a cow?

Simple. Just because someone isn't a vegetarian, doesn't mean they won't mind when an animal is close to being on the endangered list, when there are OTHER ways to take care of business, and it just gets killed like it's nothing. Humans ate meat since the birth of man kind, there's no going away from it. The elephant population, especially in Africa, have severely fallen in the past 10 years, and not because they only want the meat, but for their tusks. To just kill an elephant, when such problems exist, isn't right. This was just a show for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes people eat meat. But if you saw done of the thing they do in the beef or chicken or pork industry you'd call it inhumane.

Removing male cow (bull's) testicles without any real anaesthetic to turn them into a steer.
Forcing some female cows through artificial insemination to have baby cow after baby cow so the cows keep producing milk.
Gassing baby male chickens to death hours after they are born en mass simply cause they can't lay eggs.
Forcing female chickens to lay eggs every day in tiny cages to give us the omelettes we love. (This practice thankfully is slowing down)
Cutting off pigs tails for I don't know what reason and yes also without anaesthetic.

And yes the list goes on and on. All these very terrible things most of us either don't know about or turn a blind eye too. Just so we can have our meat, milk and eggs on the table every day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Mexican cartels video tape castrations of conscious humans. Afterwards, they then behead those same (still conscious) people with knives (not axes or swords). I won't post them, but you can easily find them on any number of sites like borderlandbeatdotcom. Knowledge of this fact doesn't seem to have a significant impact on consumption of currently illegal substances. Out of site, out of mind, blame it on the other guy, goes a long way towards keeping intact our own particular brand of righteous reality in our heads.

I'm an animal lover, and could far more easily drop a two legged jackwagon having a bad day than a four legged animal doing what comes naturally. Still, to me, videos like the GoDaddy example seem to say a lot more about the viewers than the subject of the video. One person may be relieved that a village can strive to prosper after a seemingly insurmountable difficulty. Another sees an atrocity against the planet and rails against the man, the corporation, the society, the government. Personally, I don't know the shooter, so I really can't comment on it one way or the other. Much like everyone these days, I'm sure he has an rationale that makes sense to him as to why he does what he does. Whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think he has done 2 bad things here.

Shot an elephant. I dont buy the trampling our crops argument, that sounds like a ruse to justify the act, and the locals will do anything for money because they are so poor, and that leads to the second point, they are soo poor because of Mugabe.

The CEO might as well boast that he shot an endangered animal and handed a nice fat cheque to a dictator. I know there is a power sharing government at the moment, but dont suppose Zimbabwe is a democracy, and Mugabe will hold free and fair elections next time.

A lot of the money he spent on his trip will have gone to Mugabee and his Zanu goons. If they are worried about their crops then they shouldn't have illegally thrown all the white farmers out, and the black workers who had very nice jobs with them.

Zimbabwe was once the bread basket of Afica, and one of its most prosperous and developed nations. Now its not a bread basket, but a basket case. You could argue that the white farmers had too much land, but evicting them without compensation and replacing them with safe supporters who know nothing about farming and everything about intimidation, rape and killing - is not a good agricultural policy.

So he's sent some more money to Zanu PF, even if he didn't intend that, and killed a beautiful animal. The locals will have butchered it - after all, they are starving under Mugabe's disastrous policies, which he blames on the British and Americans.

What's his next trick, go to Tripoli, shake hands with Gaddafi and then go into the dessert to shoot a camel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yes people eat meat. But if you saw done of the thing they do in the beef or chicken or pork industry you'd call it inhumane.

Removing male cow (bull's) testicles without any real anaesthetic to turn them into a steer.
Forcing some female cows through artificial insemination to have baby cow after baby cow so the cows keep producing milk.
Gassing baby male chickens to death hours after they are born en mass simply cause they can't lay eggs.
Forcing female chickens to lay eggs every day in tiny cages to give us the omelettes we love. (This practice thankfully is slowing down)
Cutting off pigs tails for I don't know what reason and yes also without anaesthetic.

And yes the list goes on and on. All these very terrible things most of us either don't know about or turn a blind eye too. Just so we can have our meat, milk and eggs on the table every day.

These things are done for mass production, and you're right.. we all usually turn a blind eye to such practices. I never buy eggs that have come from such farms.. I only get free range chickens. They're a lot healthier if you want to eat such things. Never get white eggs btw.. white isn't a natural color for an egg to be. Brown as a rule. An interesting movie that documents the things you're talking about for you Netflix subscribers: Food Inc.

Humans ate meat since the birth of man kind, there's no going away from it.

Just one technical correction... nitpicking if you will, not that I'm even against what you've said at all. This likely isn't true, and perhaps proven but I'd have to research further. Men (as in humans) weren't always capable of hunting since there was a time when we weren't even intelligent enough to construct weapons for self defense to ward off predatory animals in the wild.

It is said that men played a more supervisory role, watching the little ones as the women were out gathering food, hunting if you'd like to call it that. And the food they gathered was not meat, but raw food like nuts, berries, vegetables and certain foliage. It is entirely possible to extract all the nutrients and vitamins we need from a meatless diet. Heck, we don't even get that much calcium from milk, as we're not calves. Our bodies weren't made to process milk as such. Breast milk, different story..but that 's more for other vital resources. Most of what we eat, as suggested by the powers that be, is done so because it keeps the economy going, and not necessarily because it's healthy.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, that's just my point of view. I tend not to get too involved in things like this because I wasn't there and only have limited details.

My view of the matter is based on what I know and that's how I feel about it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had ulterior motives for what he did, but as far as I can tell it provided a useful service to a poor village and they asked him to do it. Regardless of why he did it, he did it and the villagers benefited. I don't speculate on the morality or the propriety of things like this. Most people with wealth and prominence do things for publicity or to appear a certain way in the public's eye. So I take their actions with a grain of salt. Not every elephant can be saved and put in a sanctuary and live to 100 years old. That's just how it is sometimes.

I mean no disrespect to the animal lovers out there, but I'm just not the type to be affected emotionally by this sort of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Men (as in humans) weren't always capable of hunting since there was a time when we weren't even intelligent enough to construct weapons for self defense to ward off predatory animals in the wild.

Doug

Just because they didn't have weapons, doesn't mean they didn't eat "meat." It was their advancements/learning of tools/weapons that brought larger, and more game to their families. Grown foods were a definite...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Just because they didn't have weapons, doesn't mean they didn't eat "meat." It was their advancements/learning of tools/weapons that brought larger, and more game to their families. Grown foods were a definite...

Whatever meats they ate were likely left over and rotting from what another animal killed. The advancements made were of course all in due time, and for several reasons. I'm guessing that the primary reason was self defense. I can't imagine that the life span of an human back then was very long, given their circumstances.

Well, that's just my point of view. I tend not to get too involved in things like this because I wasn't there and only have limited details.

My view of the matter is based on what I know and that's how I feel about it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had ulterior motives for what he did, but as far as I can tell it provided a useful service to a poor village and they asked him to do it. Regardless of why he did it, he did it and the villagers benefited. I don't speculate on the morality or the propriety of things like this. Most people with wealth and prominence do things for publicity or to appear a certain way in the public's eye. So I take their actions with a grain of salt. Not every elephant can be saved and put in a sanctuary and live to 100 years old. That's just how it is sometimes.

I mean no disrespect to the animal lovers out there, but I'm just not the type to be affected emotionally by this sort of thing.
And I respect your point of view... but there's one thing you should really consider here. You said that "not every elephant can be saved etc etc.. " That's true but, there's a difference between such an animal being killed in the natural order of things, and then being slaughtered for no good reason. IMO, this dude was being very self serving and really doesn't give a crap about the villagers. It's pretty easy to see that. Just because they got to eat as an aside, and that one small crop area is temporarily able to grow back means nothing for the long term. None of that has anything to do with me being an animal lover.

Anyway, I'll bow out of the thread now.

Edit: One last point. You claim that regardless of why he did it, he did and the villagers benefited from his actions. I'm saying that this "benefit" could in fact turn into more of a problem later on. This is the problem with short term bone headed thinking. The whole thing was stupid for many reasons. I'm not looking at it from a "he killed that poor elephant" point of view. I'm actually looking at it from the point of view that long term consequences born of short term thinking is often not a good thing.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Humans aren't biologically nor anatomically designed to eat meat. Humans are more similar to herbivores than to carnivores. Our intestines, for example, are too long to process meat the way a predator's does. Carnivores need short intestines because meat begins to decay so quickly. Their stomach acid is far more stronger than that of humans, which is necessary to break down the meat. Humans can't actually digest meat, so it gets to rot in the stomach before the body can begin to process it. Also, our teeth and saliva are similar to herbivores rather than carnivores. Our teeth more closely resemble that of gorillas who are vegetarian eaters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These things are done for mass production, and you're right.. we all usually turn a blind eye to such practices. I never buy eggs that have come from such farms.. I only get free range chickens. They're a lot healthier if you want to eat such things. Never get white eggs btw.. white isn't a natural color for an egg to be. Brown as a rule. An interesting movie that documents the things you're talking about for you Netflix subscribers: Food Inc.
And here are two more shows on the same subject. Documenting the terrible way we treat our meat chickens and pigs.
Jamie's Fowl Dinners
Jamie Saves Our Bacon | Pig Welfare & British Pork | Jamie Oliver

And yes I agree. The brown and speckled eggs are the best ones. Cause that shows a varied diet of a healthy chicken. White anaemic eggs show an unhealthy chicken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Weeeeeeelll It seems the world is on the side of the Elephant :( I am just watching the Sunrise Program and the News and they have a big story coming up about Mr GoDaddy. No details as yet but seems like he did the wrong thing lol which as you no from my previous post i agree with. Will see if they have a link to the story to see the furore its causing !!!!!

Reaction score
you'd think that the owner of something so big as godaddy would know never take a picture you dont want to see on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something that big made the first mistake of calling themselves godaddy. What kind of name is that???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you'd think that the owner of something so big as godaddy would know never take a picture you dont want to see on the internet

That's the part that bugs me a lot about this. He's an arrogant a@@ who DOES know better, but simply doesn't care. That's a great trait to have in certain positions (ahem... Jobs) but that kind of thing doesn't fly with scenarios like this one.

Oh, sorry... I said I was done. Ah well.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.