Advice on how to deal with Apple customer relations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just switched to Mac about a month ago, when the line was refreshed.

The first machine I got, a 2.0GHz MBP (with applecare), made strange beeping noises when I did two finger scrolling in Bootcamp and also the music skipped if I played it too loudly. I kept the replacement for about a week then I exchanged it for a 2.2GHz model because I felt I needed more graphics power. After setting it up and installing things on it I noticed a stuck pixel on the display! I packed it up and returned it to the store.

In the store I opened another one and checked for stuck pixels and sure enough the one I just opened had another stuck pixel. Finally, the third one was fine and I ended up taking it home where I'm still using it. No issues so far.

I asked the Apple salesperson if Apple offer good-will gestures or compensation for customers that are dissatisfied and have been inconvenienced and he essentially said no, either I want the laptop or I don't. However, I spoke to Apple on the phone and they told me had I bought it through the telephone sales they would have offered something in the way of compensation for my trouble so I'm a little confused.

I rang the store and asked to speak to a manager (this was three days ago) and the girl told me she'll pass on my details but I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Her attitude was first one of incredulity and then "Things happens".

Now I'm tempted to call Apple Customer Services and explain all of this to them.

My question is do you think I should bother or will they just tell me to build a bridge and get over it? I switched to Apple because I had heard about their legendary customer support and also the reliability of their products so I feel a little let down.

On the plus side I'm enjoying my new acquisition, it's a dream to use (finally) with no issues of overheating or freezing.

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can provide some guidance, or maybe even leads as to who I should contact?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Honestly, you had a bit of bad luck, but Apple rectified the situation.
I don't know if you have purchased a computer from anywhere else before, but you had no problems, no questions asked, and got a good machine in the end after a minor inconvenience.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Honestly, you had a bit of bad luck, but Apple rectified the situation.
I don't know if you have purchased a computer from anywhere else before, but you had no problems, no questions asked, and got a good machine in the end after a minor inconvenience.

I'd tend to agree. Apple is usually pretty reasonable - and although I've read stores of them going to great lengths to make satisfied customers, it seems like those issues were more severe. Most companies I've dealt with (Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc) would be reluctant to replace even a new machine. They'd be far more likely to want to repair it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is do you think I should bother or will they just tell me to build a bridge and get over it?

I think that you should simply get over it! You got a working computer...Apple gave you no hassles doing all of the exchanges...now you're good to go.

Technically speaking...all computer companies have detailed policies regarding dead pixels on the displays. And let me tell you...normally you need way more than 1 dead pixel (unless they're clustered together) to be authorized a replacement computer with most computer companies. So the fact that Apple let you exchange it with only 1 dead pixel was a favor to you!:)

Enjoy the computer...and move on!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm SO confused. You returned the original problematic item in exchange for an entirely different model. This new model, had a dead pixel, so you took it back and then they afforded you the opportunity to try yet another one in-store, to make sure it wouldn't happen again, which it did, and thankfully you caught it! So they got out another one, which you are now satisfied with...

What possible "compensation" could you be hoping for in a simple case of "things do happen" ? Where exactly do you place the blame for you having to be "inconvenienced" ? You likely could have just RMA'd the product and they could have sent you another one via Fedex or UPS for free.. but then you'd still see that as an inconvenience I'm guessing, since you'd have to wait for it.

Personally I think you're being a bit of a baby about this. Why do you think you deserve compensation? I really don't. If I were in your place, I'd be happy that there's no hassle in getting a new replacement item. I'm just kind of dumbfounded that you'd even think about being compensated.. I don't understand what for? Seriously, I'm perplexed.

Doug

OP
F
Reaction score
I would ordinarily move on but the repeated hassle of having to reinstall everything each time...

But as I said, the one I have now, a 2.2GHz stock configuration, is working beautifully. It idles at about 35c in OS X and around 50c in Windows.

I guess I'll just stick with what I have then :)

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But as I said, the one I have now, a 2.2GHz stock configuration, is working beautifully. It idles at about 35c in OS X and around 50c in Windows.

I was a little confused as well. You said that you started out with the 2.0ghz model...and then ended up with a 2.2ghz model with better graphics hardware. Did you pay extra for the 2.2ghz model...or did Apple offer it to you at no extra charge?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
I'm SO confused. You returned the original problematic item in exchange for an entirely different model. This new model, had a dead pixel, so you took it back and then they afforded you the opportunity to try yet another one in-store, to make sure it wouldn't happen again, which it did, and thankfully you caught it! So they got out another one, which you are now satisfied with...

What possible "compensation" could you be hoping for in a simple case of "things do happen" ? Where exactly do you place the blame for you having to be "inconvenienced" ? You likely could have just RMA'd the product and they could have sent you another one via Fedex or UPS for free.. but then you'd still see that as an inconvenience I'm guessing, since you'd have to wait for it.

Personally I think you're being a bit of a baby about this. Why do you think you deserve compensation? I really don't. If I were in your place, I'd be happy that there's no hassle in getting a new replacement item. I'm just kind of dumbfounded that you'd even think about being compensated.. I don't understand what for? Seriously, I'm perplexed.

Doug

No, I returned the one with faulty hardware for one with the same model, I *then* upgraded to the more expensive 15" model.

I thought I deserved compensation because of the hassle and time wasted having to install things repeatedly, like Windows 7, Office, my music library, movies, etc.

There's no need for name calling. I just came on this forum for advice, not to be patronised or belittled by schmucks like you who seem to lack reading comprehension.

OP
F
Reaction score
I was a little confused as well. You said that you started out with the 2.0ghz model...and then ended up with a 2.2ghz model with better graphics hardware. Did you pay extra for the 2.2ghz model...or did Apple offer it to you at no extra charge?

Thanks,

- Nick

I opted to pay for the upgrade because I felt I needed better graphics processing power, it wasn't offered. I tested various things on the replacement 2.0GHz model and wasn't satisfied with the outcomes.

As you said, it was nice of them to let me exchange things no questions asked :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I opted to pay for the upgrade because I felt I needed better graphics processing power, it wasn't offered. I tested various things on the replacement 2.0GHz model and wasn't satisfied with the outcomes.

As you said, it was nice of them to let me exchange things no questions asked :)

Thanks for the info.:) Yeah...maybe it would have been nice if they had given you the 2.2ghz model at no extra charge. But the deal is...these sort of "random acts of kindness" are just that...random acts of kindness. It really depends on who you're working with (grumpy or nice, new employee or veteran, how you present yourself, if the store is busy or not, etc.).

I don't think that there is any written policy on how & when these "random acts of kindness" take place. Overall...Apple is MUCH MUCH better than any other computer company out there!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think that you should simply get over it! You got a working computer...Apple gave you no hassles doing all of the exchanges...now you're good to go.

Technically speaking...all computer companies have detailed policies regarding dead pixels on the displays. And let me tell you...normally you need way more than 1 dead pixel (unless they're clustered together) to be authorized a replacement computer with most computer companies. So the fact that Apple let you exchange it with only 1 dead pixel was a favor to you!:)

Enjoy the computer...and move on!:)

- Nick
Well, technically speaking... he could very well just have returned it no questions asked, since it was still within the warranty period, and they knew that. Add to that, he also bought Applecare. So he is covered no matter what. Some may see a single dead pixel as no big deal, but if you're working in the graphics industry or similar, then it's definitely a big deal and I'm sure they'd sympathize. This is where Apple is known for their great CS standards. It's not just because they have to honor their warranty policies...

I've known people whom were WELL out of their warranty period, and have had their MacBooks just go dead, and have had them replaced for free with brand new models! (base models of course, but that's amazing to me)

As for the OP's claim however, I don't see it as an issue whatsoever. I just see it as trying to get something for nothing. I loathe that kind of thing really. It's that kind of mentality which is bringing the U.S. to its knees with the whole "you owe me" and "I'm entitled" mindset.

Sorry for the rant, I guess.

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, technically speaking... he could very well just have returned it no questions asked, since it was still within the warranty period, and they knew that.

You're definitely right. Since the computer is basically brand new (assuming we're talking within the 14 day return period)...the computer certainly could have been returned no questions asked (for a full refund if desired).:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
I was polite when I returned the one with the dead pixels, and the one with the hardware fault. I wasn't really expecting any sort of compensation/good-will gesture but a friend who works at an apple store (sadly not the one near me) told me that in such circumstances they offer little things like £10 itunes vouchers or store credit or some acknowledgment that the customer had been inconvenienced.

THEN of course you read on various forums about people being recompensed for their troubles. I just thought to get some opinions before I acted, thus saving Apple and myself time and hassle :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I returned the one with faulty hardware for one with the same model, I *then* upgraded to the more expensive 15" model.

I thought I deserved compensation because of the hassle and time wasted having to install things repeatedly, like Windows 7, Office, my music library, movies, etc.

There's no need for name calling. I just came on this forum for advice, not to be patronised or belittled by schmucks like you who seem to lack reading comprehension.

No, my reading comprehension is actually quite good. It's your false sense of entitlement as well as your diminished sense of reality which is to blame here. Why should Apple care that you need to install Windows, or any other software for that matter ! lol..... And name calling? You ARE behaving like a spoiled baby! Get over it bub... we all have software to install. And just because something goes wrong at the hardware level, is really no one's fault. Things DO happen !

You're barking up the wrong tree here. Your misguided bitterness comes from the fact that you obviously haven't dealt much with real life. You want compensation? Go call a lawyer.. I'm sure you can find one chasing an ambulance somewhere. Grow up, please.

Love peace and soul...

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come on Doug...let's be nice please. :)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
No, my reading comprehension is actually quite good. It's your false sense of entitlement as well as your diminished sense of reality which is to blame here. Why should Apple care that you need to install Windows, or any other software for that matter ! lol..... And name calling? You ARE behaving like a spoiled baby! Get over it bub... we all have software to install. And just because something goes wrong at the hardware level, is really no one's fault. Things DO happen !

You're barking up the wrong tree here. Your misguided bitterness comes from the fact that you obviously haven't dealt much with real life. You want compensation? Go call a lawyer.. I'm sure you can find one chasing an ambulance somewhere. Grow up, please.

Love peace and soul...

Doug

I think you're projecting your bitterness on to me. I came here for advice, I wasn't expecting anything.

If your comprehension was so good how come you're so easily confused? How come you ignored my comment on your comprehension if it escaped your notice earlier on?

I think you need to open your mind a little, compensation doesn't mean litigation. Compensation = a good-will gestures.

Why should Apple care about my software? Because they sell hardware which has as its sole purpose to run a variety of different software.

Again, you fail at the simple comprehension and assimilation of information and thought. If you have nothing constructive to say why bother posting in this thread your inane, ill-thought out nonsense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was polite when I returned the one with the dead pixels, and the one with the hardware fault. I wasn't really expecting any sort of compensation/good-will gesture but a friend who works at an apple store (sadly not the one near me) told me that in such circumstances they offer little things like £10 itunes vouchers or store credit or some acknowledgment that the customer had been inconvenienced.

THEN of course you read on various forums about people being recompensed for their troubles. I just thought to get some opinions before I acted, thus saving Apple and myself time and hassle :D

So you were polite... whooptie doo! Should you have not been polite ? Do you want a .. oh wait.. You do. You do want a "something". You made that evident by everything you just said. Yes.. my reading comprehension is quite good! Your friend "told you" and "of course you read on various forums about people being recompensed for their troubles".... So please stop trying to psych yourself out ! You were clearly looking for something.

Moreover, sometimes you'll get people who are either having a good/bad day, or whom are willing to go that extra distance in order to see their guest/customer walk away happy. You clearly either didn't get lucky or perhaps just didn't follow up correctly. You don't just go and ask for compensation in a situation like this, it shows a lack of couth. If they thought it was warranted, then they would have compensated you without hesitation.

And Nick, this is me being nice. I'm being called a schmuck because of an opinion which the OP doesn't care for... I can show you not nice, but he's clearly not worth the effort.

And ferret, stop fishing. It's not working well for you. I'm not bitter, nor am I projecting. I gave you an opinion, based upon so many instances of the mentality which you so easily subscribe to. You simply didn't like my opinion. You asked for it, I gave it. Apparently you don't comprehend your own words.

I'll not say another word, so feel free to insult me as much as you'd like now.

Doug

OP
F
Reaction score
I think with your churlish behaviour you've insulted yourself enough without my help.

Fancy an apparently sane adult getting incredibly worked up over a simple thread asking a none-too-controversial question.

Very amusing!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.