16GB memory upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
Up until now I was under the impression that the new 2011 mbp's were only upgradable to a maximum of 8GB or RAM. But after reading an article on macrumours.com which was cited in the MBP wikipedia article, I am second guessing myself.
Can anyone shed some light on this situation, or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

here is the link: 16 GB RAM Upgrades for New MacBook Pros Now Available - Mac Rumors

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep, they're absolutely capable of 16GB upgrades. The trouble is that the modules are so new, they're extremely expensive (you need two 8GB modules).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
they are indeed expensive.
If I had $1500 to spend on RAM, I think I would just buy another macbook!
But its good to know that the upgrade will make the machine even more future proof down the line

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I wonder how far we into the future we will be before this amount of memory starts to become useful/necessity, and not just a case of "maxing it out", because we can.

im taking a guess of about 5-10 years.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder how far we into the future we will be before this amount of memory starts to become useful/necessity, and not just a case of "maxing it out", because we can.

im taking a guess of about 5-10 years.

Probably less than that. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have thought I would have a need for 2GB. 1GB was a huge luxury. Now, I wouldn't run OS X or Windows 7ista with any less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
One nice part memory has not only getting more capacity it keeps getting a speed bump
the new MBP use 1333MHz while the ones before were 1067MHz. Wonder if the next will be DDR5 instead of DDR3?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im not sure about the necessity thing. I run a lot of laborious software and could easily use the extra memory. rendering on final cut pro and apple color is demanding.
perhaps in a year the upgrade will be more feasible though.

Reaction score
Could you please provide the link to the website that I can buy 16gb of ram (2x 8gb). I am very interested in in this ram and considering to buy it.

Sorry to ask another question may be out of the topic of this thread. I am going to buy a new MBP 15 inch 2011 version this Easter. But I heard there was a heating issue with the new generation of new MBP. I would like to know if this is the serious issue and has apple fixed this?

In case apple has not fixed it in this month, could you please advice me if I should buy it now or wait until they fix it?

I appreciate for any inputs. Thank you

Regards
SG

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not sure about the heat issue. I have the new 15" MBP and its working fine. True, it does get hot, but all macbooks generally run a little hotter than most notebooks because of the processing that's going on inside (and also the aluminum unibody is a good heat conductor!)
its normal though and doesnt affect performance in any way

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the inputs. I'm ready to get myself a MBP 15" this easter in NYC. Yesterday morning in my class, one of my friends said the new generation of MBP is having heating issue at the moment. This make me a bit disappointed, could anyone please confirm if this is an known issue or just a "fooling" around. Thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you guys for the inputs. I'm ready to get myself a MBP 15" this easter in NYC. Yesterday morning in my class, one of my friends said the new generation of MBP is having heating issue at the moment. This make me a bit disappointed, could anyone please confirm if this is an known issue or just a "fooling" around. Thank you

It's kind of funny. Every time a new model comes out, someone trots out the old "it has a heat problem" myth.

I'm typing this from a 15" 2011 i7 2.0GHz MacBook Pro sitting on my lap. It's as cool as a cucumber, much like my last two MacBook Pros.

Sure, it will get warm when I start doing something processor intensive (just like any other notebook ever made), but under light use/casual browsing, they run completely cool to the touch.

My guess is that a lot of people are taken aback when they put a modern notebook on their lap and start watching Flash videos or play a game. Newsflash: when computers work hard, they create heat - and these notebooks are no different (which is why they're no longer referred to as "laptops", at least not by manufacturers).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.