Todo app with iPhone, iPad and dropbox sync

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've been using Things for a few years now, both on my Mac and on the Desktop. To be honest though, I don't find it very conducive to actually organizing stuff and the fact that it doesn't sync means I use it less and less.

Now I know the Cultured Code guys are working on sync, but to be frank - I can't be bothered any more.

Does anyone know a simple app that just allows me to create checklists I can zip through? Ideally I'd like:

• Dropbox syncing
  • Mac, iPhone and iPad apps
  • Simple interface (something more like notational velocity or the hit list, not something cluttered like Things or Omnifocus)
  • No subscriptions (Get Flow actually looks quite good, but there's no way I'm paying $99 a year)

Anyone have a recommendation? I'd be willing to compromise on Dropbox syncing and an iPhone version…

Cheers!
Adrian

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well to answer my own question, I'm giving wunderlist a try. The desktop version is a bit weird (it's basically a web app stuffed into a desktop app), but it's clean and simple and syncs with everything.

Hard to beat the price too:
Task Management At Its Best With Wunderlist | 6Wunderkinder

Reaction score
To get things done, keep it simple

I've been round and round about this. I've tried dozens upon dozens of to-do list apps and applications, including Things and Wunderlist, over the past 3-4 years. Every one of them fell short in one way or another, most often due to the way they implemented (or didn't implement) syncing. Sometimes they fell due to the weight of their own capabilities, extracting more time from the user in fidgeting and futzing with the program than in being productive with it—which is the whole objective in the first place.

After all that research, what I've decided to do, at least for now, is to use the note-taking app Notesy in conjunction with a strategy called Autofocus (Google "Mark Forster"), to be more productive. And it's working!

It cannot be overemphasized how important syncing is if you've got more than one device. As a person with multiple Macs, multiple PCs, an iPhone and an iPad, it's imperative that I be able to enter information as quickly and efficiently as possible, wherever I am and whenever I need to enter it, using the most convenient or otherwise effective device available, and then be able to both access and edit it on any of my other devices as well as the original, without delay, reliably. Most often that "most efficient data entry device" is a Mac, for the simple reason that I can type on it much faster and more accurately than with any of the others. In addition, it handles distractions and multitasking better than the other devices. So, given a choice, I will always enter information on a Mac. But that's hardly a requirement.

What Notesy does is sync any text file over Dropbox as soon as it's created or edited. That means you could enter data into your MacBook, pick up your phone, and read what you'd just written there. Or vice-versa.

Theoretically, this is also possible with any of a number of other programs (such as Evernote), but in my real-life experience things don't work nearly as well as the theory. Many times I have gotten to the place where information I had entered previously was required, only to be left frustrated with an old version of the document that refused to sync up and update. Often the problem is that the file can be edited in one direction but not the other (e.g., can be read but not edited on the phone).

All of these frustrations and roadblocks are eliminated with Notesy.

Would it be more convenient to use an app that allows for selecting items via checkboxes instead of having to key them in every time, that remembered priorities or store layouts automatically, or that allowed for custom or preassigned fields and/or tags? Sure. But the advantages those things bring pale in comparison to the essential needs: speed and reliability. And in some cases their advantages are pyrrhic, such as when using a predefined checkbox is actually more cumbersome and time-consuming than simply typing in a short word. If there's one thing I regret, it's that it took me so long to overcome the app vendor-fed fear of typing, and figure that out.

I use this app for more than just to-do lists (called by me "action lists," of which the master repository is called "action" and the distilled daily list is called "focus"). Shopping lists are probably the second biggest use I (as well as most people) have for it. Groceries, hardware, gifts, wine, you name it, I list it. And there are other things: callback lists, restaurants, prospective buyers, books to read, movies to see, emergency information, temporary check register, temporary deposit slip, medication list, places to visit...what can't be done with a text file? It's great, bordering on exhilarating, to be able to have all that with me everywhere, reliably, no matter what form I want it in. Finally!

In short, it turns out that simplicity is a definite virtue. And simplicity is what Notesy has. Not too much, and not too little.

Reaction score
Best to use KISS

BusyToDo uses MobileMe to sync. aptmunich doesn't want to pay for a subscription.

If you're unable to tend to them, repeating tasks in apps like Things and iCal can multiply like rabbits. For that reason I put due dates in my calendar, not in my to do list. Makes sense to use your scheduler for scheduling. If I don't want a due date to take up space, it's assigned to an invisible calendar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3,
I was going round and round on this for the last few days and I came across iProcrastinate. It's free for the Mac on the app store and for $.99 you can download the app on your iphone. You can either sync wirelessly via Bonjour or you can sync with your Dropbox account.

One thing I found out was I didn't have Dropbox installed on my iPhone and it was able to sync from my username/password inputed through the iProcrastinate app on the iPhone.

Now, the app is very simple and easy to use. Here is the website for it. It explains everything in great detail! I really love it and it works great for me!

iProcrastinate for Mac

Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.