Buying first Mac

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to buy my first Mac.
I ‘m looking at the Imac 27in i5.
I just have some questions before I order it.
Is it best pay $200 for 8gb of memory from Apple or get it later?
Should I get the 2tb hard drive ($150) or buy an external hard drive?
There is a Simply Mac store in my town, or should I drive 100mi to an Apple store?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Get the ram later...Apple usually charges too much for ram.

Do you really need a 2 terabyte internal hard drive? I would vote for getting an external hard drive...and using it as a backup drive.

If the price for the iMac at the your local "Simply Mac" store is the same as Apple charges...then get it locally. Also remember that computers ordered via Apple.com are shipped free...so there's no real need to go to any "physical store"...other than to "play around" with one before buying. Warranty is the same from Apple either way as well.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Yes, get the RAM from somewhere else. Installing it into the iMac is a breeze. As far as storage goes, I would suggest not getting the 2TB. You'll end up using an external hard drive as a back up anyways so spend the money on a good one (HDD) instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2012 13" MBA Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, OS X 10.7.4
Buyng first Mac

The extra RAM I would buy from another source like Crucial or OCW - it will save you some cash as Apple is notorious for high prices on RAM. I agree - get an external hard drive, you'll be better off with it. The value of the i5 processor depends a lot on what you are going to do with the iMac. If you will be running a lot of CPU itensive appications the i5 would really be worth it. If all you do is run basic programs and surf the web and read emails, the i3 i fine. If you can afford it, get the i5 as it will further the useful life of your imac by extending the time before you feel you would need an upgrade. Good luck with your new Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12GB of RAM, 27", dual core
the general consensus pretty much everywhere concerning RAM is that apple is charging an arm and a leg because they can. It's no better, worse, or different than anything you can buy from a site like crucial. The only difference is the cost. You can have a pretty hefty Ram and HD upgrade for a few hundred bucks if you shop around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.