idiot

Reaction score
G4 Mirror, OS 10.5.8

I deleted several system-related folders ("private", "users", others) by accident. Whatever I deleted, it made my G4 stick in a startup loop that got it to the grey screen with the revolving circle of dashes, then restart, endlessly. I couldn't get out of it except by reinstalling the system and upgrading back to 10.5.8. I didn't wipe the hard drive, so folders that I left on the startup drive are still there, and the startup drive shows amount used approx the same as before I reinstalled. However, all my applications and user info are gone, as well as files I kept in my public folder and everything that was on the desktop. I used a data recovery tool, FileSalvage, but I can't see from what it recovered how to use the files to get back what I lost. Any ideas how I can recover my apps and user files? Please don't ask me about backups, I'm stupid enough as it is.

thanks
Bruce S

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Don't know if this will help but look with Finder for a Folder titled something like Previous Systems (not on my Mac to verify this is the correct name). It is possible that your info is there. If so, you will have to use your Admin rights to grant yourself access to them.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you did an archive install, then the previous system folder should exist as was suggested.

What type of install did you do to recover your system?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.