i am sure this topic is posted somewhere i just cant find it

Reaction score
I have a simple question.. My macbook pro is using 10.4.11 tiger... i would like to upgrade to leopard or snow leopard.... i read some where that you can upgrade for $29 or $169.00..... so which is it?... very confused.. and i have alot of files on the book ... can and how do i install and not lose everything?? i have no idea what i am doing here... very new to mac... but i love it... i just know that once i get in touch with someone who knows what they are doing i will get it.. the internet is so full of conflicting info. it just messes me up. Thanks in advance for all the help.. i really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Snow leopard is an upgrade for leopard. So leopard will run you 129.99 and snow leopard will run you 29.99. Technically, you can do a full install from snow leopard but that is not the way apple intended it to be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, this is the only "i am sure this topic is posted somewhere i just cant find it" topic on the forum.

As for your post, as long as your MacBook can handle Snow Leopard, you can install it from the $30 disc. Apple wants people who do not already have Leopard to buy the box set for $130. It includes updated iLife applications. If you want those too, it's a good deal.

There are hundreds of posts here with the above information.

C

chas_m

As for your post, as long as your MacBook can handle Snow Leopard, you can install it from the $30 disc. Apple wants people who do not already have Leopard to buy the box set for $130. It includes updated iLife applications. If you want those too, it's a good deal.

I have to correct some misinformation here: if you upgrade to Snow Leopard, you pretty much HAVE to buy iLife 09 at the very least, as earlier versions may not work depending on version. So it makes sense to update both the OS *and* iLife (at the very least, some other software will probably need updating too).

In other words, whether you upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard, you should plan on having to spend some amount (probably small) of additional money to update at least some of your other software.

Bottom line: computers cost money every so often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If your Mac is C2D or i-series I'd probably hold off till 10.7 Lion is released. You'll be saving a lot of money that way. And not buying an OS (10.5 and 10.6) that will soon be upgraded anyways.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All those others probably didn't give their threads a proper title either. So, it'll be just as hard for anyone else with the same question to find this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have to correct some misinformation here: if you upgrade to Snow Leopard, you pretty much HAVE to buy iLife 09 at the very least, as earlier versions may not work depending on version.

I'd say that's not necessarily true. If you have no intention of using iLife apps, you don't have to buy them. You've made the assumption that whoever is reading your post is already using older versions. In the case of the OP, nothing is stated about that.

C

chas_m

I'd say that's not necessarily true. If you have no intention of using iLife apps, you don't have to buy them. You've made the assumption that whoever is reading your post is already using older versions. In the case of the OP, nothing is stated about that.

You're completely correct: it was a failure of my imagination to contemplate the notion that someone would use a Mac and not use at least one of the iLife apps. I might even be tempted to say "foolish enough not to use at least one of the iLife apps," as they are all pretty awesome. But different strokes and all that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use none of the iLife apps. Am on Snow Leopard and still have iLife '08. They all still function just fine, but I doubt I have opened a single one of them in 2 years for anything other than troubleshooting someone else's problem. Well, maybe iPhoto on occasion, but I have Aperture, so not really all that often.

Came to the decision that I'd quit buying apps just because the new one came out, especially when I couldn't even remember the last time I opened the version I already have.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Came to the decision that I'd quit buying apps just because the new one came out, especially when I couldn't even remember the last time I opened the version I already have.

Agreed. Wish I had done the same thing a bit more often. Can save a ton of dough.

C

chas_m

Bob:

Thanks for that -- very good point.

I use almost all parts of iLife (except iDVD, don't do much of that anymore) every day. I use iPhoto, I edit videos with iMovie, I put together my podcast with Garageband, I publish my podcast's web site with iWeb, and of course iTunes (no longer technically part of iLife but it once was) is in use constantly. For me, iLife + MobileMe is the "fun" part of owning my Macs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob:

Thanks for that -- very good point.

I use almost all parts of iLife (except iDVD, don't do much of that anymore) every day. I use iPhoto, I edit videos with iMovie, I put together my podcast with Garageband, I publish my podcast's web site with iWeb, and of course iTunes (no longer technically part of iLife but it once was) is in use constantly. For me, iLife + MobileMe is the "fun" part of owning my Macs.

chas, if I could motivate myself to really make use of the mobileme account I've been paying into for 5 yrs now and put up my own cheesy web site for friends and family, I'd be using a lot more of the apps there also.

There's just a lot of folks out there that have no use for them. My wife for example. Things she's never done on her computer since she started getting my hand me down rigs around 10 yrs or so ago - insert a video DVD into one, rip/shoot/create/encode a video, take/shoot/keep/store pics, I don't think she has ever opened iTunes on her Mac (in 4 yrs, sync her iPhone on mine), GarageBand or iWeb? - not a chance. Betcha if I asked her to open one of them, she'd ask me "What is that?".

So, what's the point of a Mac you ask? She got into a couple of those stupid social sites for a time. Her Windows rigs, it didn't matter how much protection I set up on them. Every 6-9 months the thing would be so infected with junk and unusable, I'd have to spend from 4 hrs to 2 days at a time fixing/restoring her machine.

Since getting her a Mac, 4 yrs ago in June, I have not had to spend 10 minutes fixing anything on her computer. I do keep it updated/upgraded for her. It's gone from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6 via the simple upgrade path. I love the thing for that. The extra $3-400 that bottom of the line MB cost over a similar Dell desktop has been worth every penny to me.

C

chas_m

Bob:

Yes, my wife is not dissimilar. The bulk of her activity on the Mac revolves around social sites; I joke that there is no reason to back up her machine (but it's not far from a joke: a few pictures, some music and her bookmarks are about the only thing she's actually added to the hard drive).

I like to think of these folks (ie younger than me) as "the cloud generation," in that when the cloud finally becomes ubiquitous they will accept it as perfectly normal, whereas I -- while still embracing new technologies -- am a bit more hesitant. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.