Tethering options??

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I got my iPad 2 3G AT&T. I have an iPhone 4 and am grandfathered into unlimited data. Should I activate my iPad 3G or tether? If I tether, will I give up my unlimited data? Cost comparison? I only need to use 3G occasionally such as on Vacation etc. I am usually around WiFi. I am not interested in jail breaking anything.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Great forum.
Mike

Reaction score
If you want to tether from your iPhone 4 you're going to have to pay for the service unless you jailbreak the phone. And even then, there has been reports about AT&T cracking down on people who tether without paying.

(if I'm wrong about anything, please, correct me)

OP
C
Reaction score
Yup I know I need to pay the tethering charge but if I just activate 3G I have to pay a monthly charge as well. I had heard that if I tether to my iPhone, I would lose my grandfathered unlimited data. I just thought someone might know off the top of their heads.
Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD
To tether from you iPhone 4 you have to change to the 4GB Data Pro Tether plan with AT&T, so you will lose your Unlimited plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
On the flipside, if you're NOT tethering, then I don't see how you could possibly make use of the unlimited data you're paying the extra $5 to keep.

If you want to tether and keep the unlimited data, you'll need to JB and install MyWi which works great.

Reaction score
I work EMS and I'm in a ambulance for about 16 hours a shift. I had like you the unlimited plan on my phone and bout the 3G 64gb iPad. It was cheaper for me to pay $45 for 4gb and teathering then to keep the unlimited plan AND $$$ for only 2gb of data direct to the iPad.

I have been tethering to my iPhone since day one and haven't had any "serious" issues. However from time to time I have had to enable/turn off my button on the phone to connect. But no other issues, works great and I LOVE IT!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.