Ext. HDD help

Reaction score
Hey Macfans,

I have a MyBook Essential 3 TB external HDD with USB 3.0 that keeps giving the dreaded "Failure To Properly Remove Device" box when I plug it in to my iMac. This happened after about a month of problem-free usage. I'm almost positive it is the ridiculously conceived USB 3.0 cable connector that barely hangs into the port on the enclosure, but I'm not completely certain.

Does anybody know of a enclosure that is compatible with a 3TB HDD? Or at least how I can ascertain which enclosures are compatible. I'm fine with the old-school (and more stable) USB 2.0 connectors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Hey Macfans,

I have a MyBook Essential 3 TB external HDD with USB 3.0 that keeps giving the dreaded "Failure To Properly Remove Device" box when I plug it in to my iMac. This happened after about a month of problem-free usage. I'm almost positive it is the ridiculously conceived USB 3.0 cable connector that barely hangs into the port on the enclosure, but I'm not completely certain.

Does anybody know of a enclosure that is compatible with a 3TB HDD? Or at least how I can ascertain which enclosures are compatible. I'm fine with the old-school (and more stable) USB 2.0 connectors.

Have you tried another USB cable or is it a proprietary cable.

OP
M
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the cable as far as I can tell, the terminals do not appear to be bent or damaged (the end that plugs into the enclosure). The cable I am using is the USB 3.0 cable that was included with the Western Digital ext. HDD. Compared to the previous 2.0 cable, the connectors on 3.0 cables seem flimsy and badly designed.

The problem may be the enclosure as the connector does not fit very firmly within the port even when I first plugged in the drive. The error only happened when I slightly bumped the connector on the enclosure while it was connected to my computer.

What I really wanted to know was how I could find out what enclosure would be compatible with a 3TB HDD if I cannot solve the cable issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
According to the feedback on Newegg of this enclosure: Vantec NexStar CX NST-300SU-BK 3.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 and eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure (Black), 3TB compatibility is confirmed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.