Trying to install windows 7 through boot camp

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So recently I started playing WoW on my iMac again (intel 2.6 ghz 2gb ram nvidia 7600 gt 256 mb) and the gameplay was poor. It starts to flicker and it won't let me set my video quality settings above high. However, when I played this on my iMac back in 2009, I had no problems at all. I was at least able to use medium settings. So I reinstalled Snow Leopard Osx (fresh install) and WoW but still had the same problems.

So a friend let me borrow a copy of Windows 7 to try playing on bootcamp. I made the partition but when I restarted, it showed the apple logo, then a folder with a question mark and then a cross out symbol with a circle around it (like a no smoking sign without the cigarette). Now I can't even boot back into OSx. I got the disk out using my Mac but holding alt does nothing because I have a wireless keyboard with a USB transceiver. It's not fast enough. That's my guess.

How can I get back into OSx? Is my iMac done for?
I'm really not good with this stuff but this computer has been great since 07.

Any help would be great
Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You must use a USB keyboard and mouse connected to the keyboard to do the install. Did you print and read the Bootcamp instructions available on page one of Bootcamp Assistant before trying the install? Guess not.

And a friend's Windows 7 OS will not pass authentification if it has been used prior.

Boot your iMac from the Snow Dlopard disc, erase, format and do a clean install may be the best shot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hold down the option key while booting the machine until you get to the boot menu. If you can't boot the machine to OS X, it's likely you installed Windows over the top of OS X instead of into the BootCamp partition.

In which case, the clean install of Snow Leopard (or restore from your backup) is going to be the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.