Mac Plus: Worth . . . ?

Reaction score
I am the original owner of a ca. 1990 Mac Plus, with original box and even the sales receipt. Is it worth anything? I hung onto it because I thought it might eventually have some collector value, but perhaps they were just too widely produced to be of much interest.

It's closet cleaning time, or almost, so I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
They are currently going for around the $80 - $180 mark depending on condition. My advice... keep onto it for a while longer until it truly is a rare collectors item.

Hope this helps
- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Depends where you look. I purchased FIVE working Mac Plus's about a year ago for $5.00 each.

They're really not worth a whole lot. The prices folks are asking for them on e-Bay are outrageous...and are usually being sold by "professional" sellers...who seem to be able to relist them forever until they get their price. Average folks don't ask so much.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
E-Bay is certainly where I was basing my price range around, didn't realise people actually did that... oh well I suppose there will always be some greedy people out there!

- Simon

OP
M
Reaction score
This is disappointing news.

I won't bother asking what my old LC III is worth. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everymac is usually pretty bang-on with it's valuations of Apple kit, it'll give you more of a realistic figure than eBay

Everymac is actually very very inaccurate. As far as the Mac Plus goes...Everymac doesn't even list a value for it:

Apple Macintosh Plus Specs @ EveryMac.com

In the everyday world...if you're lucky...you may be able to get a Mac Plus for free...or pay upwards of $150-$200 on e-Bay (and anywhere in between.) But realistically...they're worth between $10-$20.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I concur. The pricing listed on everymac is extremely faulty in all too many cases.
Maybe good prices for sellers, but their price listing for buyers, just flat out sucks.

They're indicating my 4+ yr old MBP to be worth $900-$1100.

Maybe... if you're buying it from a con-artist.

"$1,000" and "4 yr old computer" don't even belong in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.

Reaction score
I find that quite odd. We've always found Everymac to be a decent basis to work off. Not always 100% accurate but a better figure than eBay guesswork

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find that quite odd. We've always found Everymac to be a decent basis to work off. Not always 100% accurate but a better figure than eBay guesswork

I will admit there was a time (a longgg time ago)...before I got more knowledgeable of used Macintosh prices...I used to rely on the pricing at Everymac.com. If you search Everymac.com for every model Mac Apple has released for the last 5-10 years...you may find some values that are accurate. But I think that this is more coincidence than anything else.

I'll give you another VERY inaccurate value Everymac.com is estimating. Take a dual Powermac G5 1.8ghz. Everymac.com says it's worth $450-$800 here in the United States.

Power Macintosh G5 1.8 DP (PCI-X) Specs (Original/Late 2003, M9393LL/A, PowerMac7,2, A1047, 1969) @ EveryMac.com

That is absolutely insane!! I know for a fact that 1.8ghz dual processor Powermac G5's sell on e-Bay everyday for around $250. Sometimes you can get them as low as $200...up to $300 if they have a a lot of ram & a great video card.

Let's not even talk about how inaccurate that $800 figure is. For $800 dollars...I can buy soooo much more computer than a 7-8 year-old Powermac G5. Heck for $999...I can buy a brand new MacBook...refurbished I can get one for $849.

As far as e-Bay...there is no "guesswork"! You simply "watch" 10-20 auctions for the same model computer (similar specs, ram HD, cpu, video, etc.). When all 10-20 auctions are over...you look at the values...and you have a pretty good idea of what a specific model Macintosh computer is worth.

- Nick

p.s. Here's another example. A 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook from 2006. Everymac.com lists it's value as $650 to $750:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/stats/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-specs.html

I "MIGHT" consider the $650 value as a possible "upper limit" for this computer (rather than the lower limit)...but only for a REALLY NICE well taken care of unit...with probably a ram & HD upgrade. I personally have purchased newer MacBooks (2007 or 2008 models) for $350-$450 from my local Craig's List.

But again...why would I pay $750 for a 4-5 year-old 2006 MacBook...when I can buy this MUCH newer refurbished MacBook (2.4ghz Core 2 Duo) from the Apple Store for $849 with a full 12-month warranty:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC516LL/A?mco=MTg0NzA2MTU

Reaction score
I suppose it is plausible to argue that as Powermax.com sponsors Everymac the figures shown are geared more towards the sellers than the buyers.

Also there is obviously a difference in the way used machines hold their value here in the UK in comparison to the U.S.

A base level 2006 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad 4GB 250GB with 7300GT graphics card (in good condition) will still sell in the UK for just under £1000 ($1,616.799)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose it is plausible to argue that as Powermax.com sponsors Everymac the figures shown are geared more towards the sellers than the buyers.

Also there is obviously a difference in the way used machines hold their value here in the UK in comparison to the U.S.

A base level 2006 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad 4GB 250GB with 7300GT graphics card (in good condition) will still sell in the UK for just under £1000 ($1,616.799)

Yes...there is definitely a difference between US & UK used Macintosh pricing. Typically (from what I've seen) used Macintosh computers in the UK seem to cost about 50-75% more than here in the US.

The same Mac Pro you mentioned is selling for around $1000 here in the US. Of course there are various reasons for the difference in pricing of used Macintosh computers in the UK & US:

- different economies
- different taxing structure
- VAT and other import taxes
- supply and demand for used Macintosh computers

Unless you have access to a "Everymac.com" (UK version) to get current estimated values...then checking the US based website may not be that useful.

Here's another website that is pretty good for getting "ballpark" values of used Mac's...and has UK pricing:

Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod - Evaluation - Argus Mac, iPod, iPad, iPhone Occasion

...it lists that original Mac Pro model as being worth around £740. This is lower than the £1000 you mentioned.

I also checked e-Bay UK...and you're obviously a VERY active seller on e-Bay UK with over 8000 feedback. So you obviously must know the UK market very well!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. Here's another UK Mac-forums member who says you can get a used Mac Pro in the UK for £850-£900:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/234449-2006-mac-pro-bargain.html#post1213880

So that's a little less than the £1000 you mentioned...and a little closer to the Mac2Sell UK estimated value of £740.

OP
M
Reaction score
Everymac is usually pretty bang-on with it's valuations of Apple kit, it'll give you more of a realistic figure than eBay

Everymac says it's worth "N/A." lol. Oh, well.

I suppose if one waited long enough, it might be worth something. The precedent that comes to mind has to do with wrist watches. Starting in the 1980s, certain models that were widely produced and quite common (like the Mac Plus was widely produced and common) suddenly became desirable and collectable, and worth 30-50 their original MSRP. Probably won't happen with the Mac Plus. Or won't happen in my lifetime. lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everymac says it's worth "N/A." lol. Oh, well.

I suppose if one waited long enough, it might be worth something. The precedent that comes to mind has to do with wrist watches. Starting in the 1980s, certain models that were widely produced and quite common (like the Mac Plus was widely produced and common) suddenly became desirable and collectable, and worth 30-50 their original MSRP. Probably won't happen with the Mac Plus. Or won't happen in my lifetime. lol.

I hope that you're not talking about "Swatch's":

Swatch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Swatch Group SA -- Company History

...since they're original cost was under $50...and some folks find collecting watch's "collectable" (because of style, rarity due to the MANY models released, and hey...they still tell time)!:) So yeah...their price (of some models) has increased over the original cost.

But a $2600 1986 computer is not the same. Lots & lots of them were made...and they basically cannot perform any useful computing tasks in 2011 (unlike an old "Swatch Watch") which can:

- still tell you the time of day if you need it to
- they have a fashion/style attribute)
- and remind folks growing up in the 1980's of the fun times they had.:)

An old 1986 computer doesn't exactly evoke the same "warm fuzzy" memories/experiences you had:

- in high school
- a Friday night party
- fashions of the 1980's
- or your first date!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Egads! I just looked in my closet and noticed that, not only do I still have my Mac Plus, I still have my H-P printer. It was an inkjet type of thing.

My home is becoming a Smithsonian!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Egads! I just looked in my closet and noticed that, not only do I still have my Mac Plus, I still have my H-P printer. It was an inkjet type of thing.

My home is becoming a Smithsonian!

If you keep looking...you may also find a typewriter, a slide rule, and an abacus!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you keep looking...you may also find a typewriter, a slide rule, and an abacus!

I had good laugh at that one. My junk closet in my work office has all three still sitting there. An old K&E Log Log Deci Trig, Royal portable, and a bamboo "Soraban" that I picked up at Yokota AB back in my military days.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had good laugh at that one. My junk closet in my work office has all three still sitting there. An old K&E Log Log Deci Trig, Royal portable, and a bamboo "Soraban" that I picked up at Yokota AB back in my military days.

Wow...what a guess!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.