Smart Covers, Cases, Screen Protectors

Reaction score
They responded today from my factual but scathing email asking for pics which I sent. Already got reply telling me a replacement is on the way! Who knows whether I can do a better job second time around though???

Reaction score
Hi i have ordered my ipad 2 and i am expecting delivery shortly, i know which case i am getting (speck pixelskin hd wrap case) but i am still stuck on what screen protector to buy
I have heard many have the texture of an orange peel etc which i do not want, i want to be ably to run my fingers across it smoothly, i also want it to be tough and resistant as too many of my iphone 4 screen protectors have benn useless and scratch too easily.
can any one help please?

Reaction score
Hi i have ordered my ipad 2 and i am expecting delivery shortly, i know which case i am getting (speck pixelskin hd wrap case) but i am still stuck on what screen protector to buy
I have heard many have the texture of an orange peel etc which i do not want, i want to be ably to run my fingers across it smoothly, i also want it to be tough and resistant as too many of my iphone 4 screen protectors have benn useless and scratch too easily.
can any one help please?
Hate to sound like an informercial. But I'll never buy anything but PowerSupport. Use them on all my iPhones, iPod Touch and iPads. I get a perfect installation and can't even tell they're on there. I just gave my original iPad to my mother-in-law and it still has the PS crystal film I put on it a year ago and it looks new.

Reaction score
I've never used the SGP brand, but I have put a BestSkinsEver and a BodyGuardz on my iPhone and after the initial placement of the film there were bubbles - even after trying to squeeze them out - but after a day or two the bubbles went away.

Is this not the case with SGP?
Nope, no dissipation of the bubbles, still there.

Reaction score
And dust unless you happen to live in either a really dust-free environment or a vacuum.

Reaction score
thanks for that im not sure we can get powersupport for ipad 2 in the uk yet so are there any others you would recommend?

Reaction score
thanks for that im not sure we can get powersupport for ipad 2 in the uk yet so are there any others you would recommend?
Sorry, I can't. That's the only one I can vouch for. Not saying it's the only good one, but the only one I can personally attest to. I don't like the Zagg feel, but lots of people do.

Reaction score
RadTech Skinny Impressions

I just received the RadTech Skinny case for the iPad 2. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I was a fan of the Apple case for the iPad 1. I like something that protects against drops, covers the screen, allows for propping up for typing/watching, and adds minimal bulk.

Short version: I like it. It seems to meet all the requirements I just listed fairly well and it has the magnets to make the cover smart. The fit and finish (quality) seem good. On the side where the cover meets, the clips hug the corners well without covering the bezel at all. You can remove the iPad from the case without much hassle, but it doesn't seem like it would fall out inadvertently. On the other side, there are tabs on each corner to hold the iPad securely in. They only encroach a little on each corner. The Skinny leaves the bezel about 98% completely unobstructed which is nice.

The outside is a nice stretchy looking fabric. It doesn't look like it will pick up the dirty look that the Apple case did. The cover lining is a soft velvet feeling gray material. The bend in the cover seems further toward the middle than the Apple case which gives a steeper angle for typing which I like. The cover has the smart magnets but also has a tongue in loop closure so it's more securely closed. The tongue in loop also holds the cover in place when it's flipped around in typing/stand mode.

The cover closes and fits well, but does leave a gap at the two corners where the two tabs holding the iPad secure cover and stick out from the bezel a little. That might be my only nitpick so far, but the tradeoff is having the unobstructed bezel everywhere else, so it's a necessary evil for this design.

As for protection, it looks like it should do a good job of drop protection, although dropping it one one of those tabs on the outside corners could possibly break the tab off. One nice thing about the Apple case was that the edges and corners were nicely protected with that little ridge of material sticking out that cushioned any drops.

I'll try to update with more experience--I'll be taking it on a 4 day business trip next week so it will get lots of use in airports, planes, cars, etc.

Now for pics:
Front cover (it really is jet black, iPhone + low light = reddish color)
d6126646.jpg

Inside:
e1d42156.jpg

Closure side:
4eceda57.jpg

Top:
63ac7e8f.jpg

Back:
c777f67c.jpg

Bottom:
8580fd76.jpg

Typing mode (front):
d2002a55.jpg

Typing mode (side):
50d56b2e.jpg

Reaction score
Even though I am waiting for my replacement screen protector for my iPad 2 from SGP, I have just ordered an Invisible Shield full body easy install protection from Zagg. I have installed Invisible Shields on many of my other devices, iPods, mp3 players etc. and I personnally think they are the best. Yes after a lot of use (depending on how careful you are) you may find some of the corners discolouring and lifting a bit. But I think it is a small price to pay for scratch proof protection. I just want the screen and back of my iPad covered. My SGP definitely degrades the quality of the lovely new screen in both brightness and quality, not to mention the feel of it and you can actually hear it if you listen closely as your finger swipes across. Not my favourite cover, but I am sure it provides 100% scratch protection, however, the cons outweigh the pros for SGP for me. Each to their own.

@Jacksonian Nice pics of the Radcase Skinny! Hadn't heard of that one before.

Reaction score
iPad 2 Cover Question

Hi,

I have picked up my iPad 2 last week :))) and yet have the original plastic wrapping on it! Am in need of a cover but just cant seem to decide. I'm looking for front and back protection but also something that is really thin and sleek. I have called for an anti-glare screen protector as well.

Can someone please help me choose one from the following?

1. Marware Microshell Folio

2. Speck PixelSkin HD Wrap

3. Speck FitFolio Cover

They cost almost the same with just a few pounds of difference.

Any help will be great! Thank You.

Reaction score
iPad2 cases. Any recommendations?

I'm extremely happy with my iPad2 (obviously) and apart from the marks the Smart cover leaves on the front of the screen, am happy with that too. But after spending a good deal of money on the iPad, the Smart cover just isn't enough protection I feel it deserves.

Does anyone know of or recommend a suitable alternative to the Smart cover which will protect both the front and rear of the iPad, ideally a leather case bound style case as apposed to the thin skin protection ones?

Many Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Go for the pixelskin hd wrap thats what im getting in my oPinion is the most useful of the lot

Reaction score
My contribution:

I have had 3 ipod touches and i now have the ipad 2. i always use a full body case so back and front are cool and don't bother with screen protectors.

I also don't believe in putting plastic over living room furniture. I might as well have bought plastic couches.

here is the cheap ipad 2 case

Amazon.com: CaseCrown Apple iPad 2 Bold Standby case (Black) for the Apple iPad 2 Wifi / 3G Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB: Electronics

less than 20 dollars for a full body one and it has the fold feature for positioning it well. it's not all leather and it has no super hardness in between the leather for protection but it is thicker than if you didn't get a full body case.

it has place for cameras and all that. all and all i give it a 10 cause it does everything i need it to do. since it's an ipad i dont think the fact that the edges are harder to his is a problem. but i don't think i've really tested taht to an extent enough to be an expert on it either.

Reaction score
don't bother with screen protectors.

I also don't believe in putting plastic over living room furniture. I might as well have bought plastic couches.
I don't put plastic on my living room furniture either. But with a good crystal screen protector, you can't tell there's anything on it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I've got a case from Piel Frama on order at cases.com. I had this same case on my original iPad and am turning it over to my husband completely unmarked. It's held up very well. This is a leather case from Spain and has the magnets for the sleep wake function.

Piel Frama

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I couldn't make up mind, but then got notice my iPad2 had shipped so had to do something. Ordered the Radtech STM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I couldn't make up mind, but then got notice my iPad2 had shipped so had to do something. Ordered the Radtech STM.

Ordered mine last night. Unfortunately it won't ship 'til the 20th. I'll be sure to post pictures and a review once I get it.

Also, for future orderers, If you enter the discount code "AUG1Q59" when ordering the STM Skinny from Radtech you'll get a 20% discount.

Reaction score
Can't wait to hear what you guys think of the Skinny. I like it a lot and drop tested it today on the concrete (accidentally of course) and it held up perfectly. The base is very sturdy when upright for viewing. See my notes on the previous page in case you missed it with the merged threads.

Reaction score
Go for the pixelskin hd wrap thats what im getting in my oPinion is the most useful of the lot
Although it looks nice and I was considering it, it doesn't have the magnets for the smart waking, says it stays closed with "microsuction", and that triangle fold design is not the sturdiest for upright viewing. Things to consider.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.