Smart Covers, Cases, Screen Protectors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't know much about that Case Mina, but I've been buying things from RadTech for some time now. Really good company to deal with.

Reaction score
So I checked them out, they actually have a pretty good looking case for the iPad 2: HERE

Have you had any experience with them Schweb? I am thinking of picking it up to replace my parent's Smart Cover.

Please, let me know.
Thanks for posting that link. I think that's what I've been looking for. I just pre-ordered the black one. Hopefully it will ship in a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I don't know much about that Case Mina, but I've been buying things from RadTech for some time now. Really good company to deal with.

Thanks Schweb.

Thanks for posting that link. I think that's what I've been looking for. I just pre-ordered the black one. Hopefully it will ship in a couple of weeks.

Anytime, let me know when you get ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For those that don't like the glossiness of the display, I'll recommend the RadTech ClearlCal anti-glare (also anti-oil) screen protector. It's not as scratch resistant as some of the others - have the 2nd one on my 1st gen iPad, but it's reduced the time I spent cleaning the screen by over 90%.

For those looking, they've cut the price on them for the 1st gen to $10.95 and you get 2 of them for that. Should probably order more myself before they run out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Cases like that just seem to defeat the whole purpose of the iPad being as thing as it is. Why bother to buy a super thin tablet just to stick some huge case on it?

Yeah I realize the OP was asking about slip cases but that's why I recommended the Incipio products. Terrific coverage, little to no bulk increase *and* you can combine it with a slipcase (unless it's super tight).

This NGP case is slightly elastic so it perfectly conforms to the iPad, particularly the convex rear!

For those that don't like the glossiness of the display, I'll recommend the RadTech ClearlCal anti-glare (also anti-oil) screen protector. It's not as scratch resistant as some of the others - have the 2nd one on my 1st gen iPad, but it's reduced the time I spent cleaning the screen by over 90%.

For those looking, they've cut the price on them for the 1st gen to $10.95 and you get 2 of them for that. Should probably order more myself before they run out.

Do they seems to affect the resistance of the surface? That's been an issue for me with screen covers is your finger doesn't glide as well (like there's more resistance, ie, it's kind of sticky/tacky)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

These should work with the second gen since it's the same size, right?

I am thinking of going with Zagg for the "last line of defense" all around protection, but I really love the oleo-phobic nature of the bare glass that makes cleaning a breeze. I'm also curious about the finger-gliding resistance it may cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
iPad Incipio Case/Cover

Howdy Folks!

Got this yesterday from Amazon, an Incipio NGP case. I was considering the Feather since we have that on our iP4 (and I had one on my Atrix) and love how incredibly thin and light it is. Then I figured a little more coverage, especially if it wraps around the front a touch would be better (and the iPad doesn't have to fit in a pocket).

Very nice as I've come to except from Incipio - super form fitting (it's slightly elastic), great texture, cutouts are all exact, the buttons are covered by the case with a rubberized button surface that's super easy to click.

Here's mine, with the new Incipio case/cover:

20110331-agigimnmh151sten5eakhpbxi.jpg

20110331-dwc59aepi58429h278m41nc3ck.jpg

20110331-rkjmg2k6gxr3921grf9mytme8s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They are not the same size. While you could maybe use a hole punch for the camera, who knows if the hole for the home button would align properly.

As for the feel, I can't say definitively any longer. It's been on my iPad only a few days less than I've had it. Have had the Radtech on both my iPhones since day 1 - almost 2 yrs now. If there is any miniscule difference, it's forgotten pretty soon. I have no issues scrolling, pinching or anything else. I do not notice any resistance.

If the mirror glare of seeing your own reflection and/or the incessant cleaning required doesn't bother you, there's really no need for a screen protector. If either or both of these do bother you, then I can recommend the Radtech.

Reaction score
just ordered two Gelaskins. one eboy one of London and the other a custom one.
won't be here in the UK tho for weeks. Almost luckily.. neither will my ipad :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tom I'll have to try that screen film from RadTech.

I've tried the InvisibleShield stuff before on my iPhone, but I honestly couldn't stand the way it felt and it seemed to attract oil and dirt so I swore off screen films

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tom I'll have to try that screen film from RadTech.

I've tried the InvisibleShield stuff before on my iPhone, but I honestly couldn't stand the way it felt and it seemed to attract oil and dirt so I swore off screen films

Let us know what you think. I have what I consider to be extremely oily hands. I do remember I couldn't use my iPad for much more than 30 minutes to an hour before I had to stop and clean the screen. For me, that was a rpitr.

It does seem to collect dirt - particularly around the edges of the cover, but I really can't be sure if that's the protector or the nature of having an edge of the cover wrapping around the face to catch stuff.

Over a period of time, in the right lighting, you can see the imprints of where you type in the protector. Cleaning does not eliminate this. But, it can't be seen when the screen is on.

And, as I said, at least the anti-glare one, does not have the scratch protection of some of those others out there. I had to replace the first one within a month after getting them.

Reaction score
i just ordered online an SGP iPad 2 Ultra Optics Screen Protection. Best one they sell. I have heard/read a lot of positive reviews of SGP and thought I'd try them. Have used Invisible Shield on everything in the past but am leery of trying to apply it on such a large surface. Can't help thinking I may have a smoother look from SGP than I would with a self-installed Zagg.
Anyone else use SGP for this? If so, comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
i just ordered online an SGP iPad 2 Ultra Optics Screen Protection. Best one they sell. I have heard/read a lot of positive reviews of SGP and thought I'd try them. Have used Invisible Shield on everything in the past but am leery of trying to apply it on such a large surface. Can't help thinking I may have a smoother look from SGP than I would with a self-installed Zagg.
Anyone else use SGP for this? If so, comments?

I got one of the SGP protectors. I'm definitely liking it so far. I initially liked the Zagg for my iPhone but once it started to peel I didn't like it so much. Plus it wasn't the easiest to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Reaction score
Alternatives To Smart Cover?

Hi. I'm on a waiting list for the iPad 2 at best buy. I'd like to have a case ready for when it finally arrives ( lol it may never arrive...). Anyways. I love the fact that the smart cover looks cool and has the stand function, but it doesn't protect the back, won't provide much of a padding against small drops, and leaves those weird streaks of dust across the screen. I'd like a case similar (or exactly like) the iPad 1 case. Specificly I'd prefer a case that stays on all the time like this one and can form a stand for typing (the watching movies angle is a nice feature but I really wouldn't use it). If this exact same case was available in a smaller version so it fits iPad 2 that would be perfect. But I don't think it is... right? Any ideas for alternatives? Thanks in advance :D

edit- Preferably something that's already released, but if not I can still wait a little bit. I'd just rather get some protection as quickly as possible, but without buying a smart cover and then a better one later on.

~Jman

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.