Pc, mac and, ethernet

M

matelo

Hi all, i am new in this forum, so i hope u can help me.

I have a pc and mac that share the internet conection via ethernet and a hub, my mac detects the pc name in the network, but it cant open the connection, there is a message and this is: " The alias "PCHOME" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."

The ip for the pc is 10.0.0.5 and for the mac is 10.0.0.4.

well i hope u can understand my problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
sorry i do not know the answer to this particular problem as i am having the same problem and currently trying to figure out how to fix it... but I would like to welcome you to the forums and wish you the best of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
try in finder going

Go -> Connect to Server

afp://10.0.0.5

Also make sure that on your PC you are sharing the C: drive or at least whatever folders you are trying to access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In the Finder, hit Command + K

Type the network address for the computer in the Server Address text box using this format:

smb://IPaddress/sharename

Follow the onscreen instructions to type the workgroup name and a user name and password, and choose the shared folder you want to access.

OP
M

matelo

Thanks for the answers, and thank PowerBookG4 for the wellcome.
The help of D3v1L80Y had worked succesfuly, so thanks a lot for that!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you normally get the cannot connect message when you dont have a share set on the winblows machine incase anyone else has this problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I always tried the smb://ipaddress and it still does not work...maybe my computer really is having issues, but I can connect to it via vnc I just can not mount it on the desktop... oh well, if thats how you do it then I guess I will not be able to mount my hard drive of my windows machine (my crappy one, my good one works)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just make sure that the Workgroup name is the same for all machines, and that you set your C: drive for sharing. If that is the case, you really shouldn't have a problem mounting the Windows machine on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.