no sound when running windows on iMac

Reaction score
I used the boot camp on my iMac to download Windows and it seems to be running except that there is no audio. any suggestions? I have heard that this is a problem but I can't get a solid answer to fix it that doesn't totally confuse me. I need Windows to do a nursing program and this has been driving me nuts! Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I'm going to assume, since this is your first post, that when you say "downloaded" you mean "installed a legal, licensed copy of Windows" under Boot Camp. We don't support piracy on this forum.

With that intro, welcome to the forum! Please read the two stickies at the top of this forum as they will answer almost all of your questions about Windows under Boot Camp. You didn't indicate the version of OSX you are using or the version of Windows you installed. Again, the following assumes Snow Leopard and Windows 7. To get all the drivers correct, boot into Windows and then insert your Snow Leopard install disk - it should auto-install all your Windows drivers. Then download and install (again, from within Windows) the latest version of Boot Camp (3.2) - either manually from the Apple download site (be careful to pick the 32-bit or 64-bit version that corresponds to the version of windows 7 you installed), or by clicking on the Boot Camp icon in the Windows system tray and running the software update there.

Good luck and again, welcome to the forum!

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
I am new

you are right- I am new. I "installed" windows vista home or something like that. I will try and do what you suggested but should I wipe out everything I did and start all over again and if so, how do I do that? cheers and thanks for the welcome.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, do not wipe anything.

Follow instructions above, replacing the words Windows 7 with Windows Vista.

OP
M
Reaction score
what happens to the Windows that I already installed?

this is a new person's question- When I do all this installing again, what happens to the one I've already installed? does it just get replaced by the new installation or don't I even know what I'm talking about. (I can take the criticism)

Reaction score
You won't do any installing again. Just open Windows, insert the disk and *boom* that will do it. Then just download and install the Boot Camp update. Nothing is going to get reinstalled from scratch. It's actually much easier than it sounds. Much easier than being a Mets fan, for example ... :)

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
ha ha

that's pretty funny. I couldn't agree with you more. I need that little nausea feeling in the morning to start my day. anyway, I did what you said and there was no presto chango on my Windows and I still can't get any sound from my iMac. I downloaded windows media player on the Windows site and still no sound. Either my disc 1 doesn't have new drivers or else I'm just an idiot when it comes to this computer. I wish that I didn't have to do this program and that it didn't have a narrative but it does and I can't figure this out. I'd prefer to not have take this into Geeks. go Mets

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you booted into Windows and then inserted the Snow Leopard disk, did you install the drivers from the disk?

Do you have a BootCamp icon in the System Tray?

Did you then click on that BootCamp icon and check for updates?

OP
M
Reaction score
I put in Mac OS X disc 1. when I click on the icon. the choices do not include checking for updates- I'm screwed- I'll never get this program started. woe is me.

Reaction score
On the update front, you can do that manually from within Windows. Open your browser, go to the Apple support/downloads site, and select the Boot Camp 3.2 that corresponds to your windows version. Then just download and install that.

Try the install disk again after doing that. When you load your OSX install disk, what happens exactly? can you see the disk contents in windows? The driver files should be visible.

If you are not running Snow Leopard but are running Leopard, then the easiest thing to do is spend $$29 to buy a Snow Leopard upgrade and use that disk.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.