How do i set up Mail?

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to Macs here and i'd really like to use the Mail application that came with my new MBP. I currently only use a free yahoo account and I cant seem to set it up to receive these. Do i have to upgrade to a paid account in order to get these via yahoo?

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yahoo does not offer free POP3 or IMAP services. You would have to wind up paying them in order to set it up with Apple Mail. I suggest switching to GMail instead as their accounts (POP and IMAP) are free.

You can check out this LINK which claims to be able to get the free Yahoo mail working with Apple Mail. No guarantees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Another recommendation for GMail. That's what I use with the mail app on my MBP, and it works great.

If you are absolutely determined to get Mac Mail to work with Yahoo, this MIGHT work:
1. Set up a new GMail account
2. Set up Mac Mail to access your GMail account.
3. Set Yahoo email to auto-forward mail to your GMail account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.