• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft cites Amazon Appstore in continued opposition to Apple trademark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Solution:

"Mac App Store"

"Win App Store"

and so on... you tell me what has more of a ring to it.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
All my friends know the App store is from Apple. Not cause app is short for application. But cause to them App is short for Apple. So the two go together. MS and others can use the word App. I know both Apple and Application staring with App is just a co-incidence, but it's a good one.

But most people will think of Apple when they think of Apps. MS and co need to come up with their own catchy phrase, trademark it and get people to remember that. Just always trying to copy Apple is not the way to win.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" & iPod Touch
App is short for Apple??? Are they serious?

Steve J. is always talking about great apps (Garageband, iPhoto). So he is always talking about great Apples?

Apple can use the term "App Store" as far as I am concerned, but using this defense is not believable. App Store = Apple's Application Store imo.

Apple cannot logically be abbreviated to App, it makes no sense.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
8thark is saying that to some people, they associate "App" with Apple. thats obviously not what SJ is going for. it just happened by accident.

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I just went over to uspto.gov to search for App Store and there were five entries -- none of which belong to Apple. So either the trademark database isn't updated as often as it should be, or Apple's going to have a tougher case to make against either MS or Amazon than we thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Interestingly enough, I just went over to uspto.gov to search for App Store and there were five entries -- none of which belong to Apple. So either the trademark database isn't updated as often as it should be, or Apple's going to have a tougher case to make against either MS or Amazon than we thought.

Not only does Apple hold patents under different countries, but they also hold patents under different names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There is a difference however between 'parent' and 'patent'!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Command+Space "patent" and the Thesaurus will tell you that a Patent is a Trademark.
I think that, that is just saying they are words with similar meanings. Which is true cause we all know a patent is similar but not exactly the same as a trademark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Patents and trademarks are nowhere close to being similar. Patents are for inventions, trademarks are source identifiers. One cannot be used in place of the other.

Apple holds a trademark in its name and the name of its products (iPod, iPad, Macbook, etc.). Apple holds patents on the technologies behind those products (the A4/A5 chips, the touchscreen technology, the multitouch gestures).

Additionally, it is not required that you have a trademark registered with the USPTO. It just gives you a stronger case when you have to litigate.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It just gives you a stronger case when you have to litigate.
And since apple are being sued every day . . . . well you know why Apple patent/trademark everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Evidently the thesaurus is also wrong

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.