MBP mem upgrade question- Non- Stacked IC's?

Reaction score
At Macmemory.com the prices for MBP mem upgrade are higher but their website (MacBook Pro RAM | MacBook Pro Memory | Apple MacBook Pro Hard Drives | Ramjet Inc.) touts:

"Non-Stacked IC's: Ramjet uses a Non-stacked module for the 4GB DDR2-667 module for the MacBook Pro. The cheaper stacked IC variety of 4GB SO-DIMM draws more power, which increases heat and decreases battery life. Ramjet ONLY uses premium non-stacked chips."

Is there anything to this" premium non-stacked chip" business? Their prices are $30 or more higher than OWC and Crucial.

Is there a difference between what these companies are selling?

(I have a new MBP purchased recently)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Let me google that for you

Best answer from the search hits:

One double-sided DIMM holds 16 RAM chips [18 if using ECC].
1G byte ==> 8G bits; 8G bits / 16 chips ==> 512M bits per chip.
The least expensive "commodity" density today is 256M bits per chip.
Achieving 1G byte from 256M bits/chip requires "stacking" another
card. This doubles the overall thickness, and the module won't fit
into some spaces. It also causes problems with cooling and mechanical
reliability; but sometimes it "works" for desktop PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook5,1 - A1278 - MB467LL/A
false Ramjet quality claim

At Macmemory.com the prices for MBP mem upgrade are higher but their website touts:

Non-Stacked IC's: Ramjet uses a Non-stacked module for the 4GB DDR2-667 module for the MacBook Pro. The cheaper stacked IC variety of 4GB SO-DIMM draws more power, which increases heat and decreases battery life. Ramjet ONLY uses premium non-stacked chips.

Is there anything to this" premium non-stacked chip" business? Their prices are $30 or more higher than OWC and Crucial.
Is there a difference between what these companies are selling?
(I have a new MBP purchased recently)

Their price for an 8GB package (2 modules) is $50 over everyone else's (@~ $97 - 110)!! That's 50%, and the only apparent reason is this claim.
So I quoted the Wikipedia info that nearly nobody makes or sells chips that can be stacked anymore (modern chips are nearly all Ball Grid Array) and asked them about that -- Like, "How can I shop this spec w/ other mfr's?" This was their dodging, disingenuous response:
Unfortunately, it is still possible to construct stacked modules, and there are stacked TSOP modules on the market right now. Ramjet does not use stacked parts in any application. This is one aspect of Ramjet always using the top quality parts available for your Mac. Thank you for your inquiry!
When I asked OWC the same thing, they responded:
We haven't ever used stacked chips for our PC3-8500 line of memory modules. In fact, its been a long time since we've qualified any stacked memory modules.
I believe would apply equally to any DDR2 modules ~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.