Restored with TM, but no files anywhere!

Reaction score
Yesterday my macbook gave me the gray screen of death and a prohibitory sign upon starting it. I took it to the mac store and they said that after trying to reinstall the only choice was to restore. That was successful, and I went home thinking that I merely had to plug in my external hard drive with my TM backups on it.

After I re-registered my mac and plugged in the external, it seemed like it was doing it's thing, and took about 20 minutes to transfer my apps/docs/etc. After this it reported that the transfer was successful.

When I went to look in my documents folder, there was nothing there. Same goes for all of the programs that should have info from the TM on it.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a Mac pro, so it might be a simple fix that I'm just not aware of, or it may be that all my stuff is lost. But any help would be immensely appreciated!!!!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you perform a thorough search of your hard drive? Look for a folder that may say something like "old operating system" or some such. I'm fairly certain your data was restored but we need to find out "where" it was installed to.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My computer crashed again, and this time the Mac guys replaced the hard drive. I then performed a restore with TM on the new hard drive. And this time, I found my data! TM had created another user account in which it stored all of my docs/apps. I just had to transfer it all over to the new user account and delete the one created by TM. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All's well that ends well. Have fun and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.