What is Keychain?

Reaction score
OK, I searched the whole forum for the term "keyvchain" and there are dozens of hits.

What is it and do I need to use it?

When i log onto an account, it asks me for a password and then says something about using keychain. What do I do? Do I enter my passwords in there? Do I turn it off and if so How do I turn it off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Briefly Keychain is an application for storing passwords to various sites. It is okay to use Keychain for ordinary sites, such as here, bot do not allow Keychain to remember bank, credit card and confidential passwords. For these hit 'Never' if Keychain asks.

OP
A
Reaction score
So if I add it to keychain, does it stop asking me for the password whenever I open a program such as mail?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. Save your password to mail, Airport, and some other minor things that you need in Keychain and you won't be asked for it each time. That's what it's for. However, for other things such as bank accounts, credit card info, and other personal sensitive data, it should never be used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.